1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Innovate LM-2 Project

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by chrisw, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Thought this might interest some of you on here.

For the past month I have been tuning my 1198S using an Innovate LM-2 (single Lambda version).

LM-2 Wideband O2 Digital Air/fuel Ratio Meter

The LM-2 uses a wideband lambda sensor to capture AFR and also allows data to be captured from sensors that output a voltage (Analog Input). For my project I needed to capture RPM (from vertical coil), throttle position (TPS) and temperature. The easiest way would have been to insert probes down the seals of each sensor to make an electrical circuit. I decided to make some OEM style intercept connectors. As some of the connectors are not available I ended up making my own using spade connectors and black silicone. Here's the result:

RPM

Coil.jpg

TPS

TPS.jpg

Temp

Temp.jpg

The temp intercept was the hardest to install as the sensor is behind the battery box, so that had to be unbolted.

As my bike set up has the lambdas removed I was able to use the OEM exhaust ports for the LM-2 sensor.

These were the outputs used (reference to the bike wiring diagram helps).

TPS
    This is a 3 way connector with terminals referenced A to C

A to + Analog 1 input, C to - Analog 1 input

Coil (RPM)
    This is a 3 way connector with terminals referenced 1 to 3

3 to + Analog RPM input

Water
    This is a 2 way connector with terminals referenced 1&2

1 to + Analog 2 input

The LM-2 was powered by an accessory socket connected to the flylead for my Optimate.

To set things up you need a diagnostic system. I used JP's JPDiag. You need to establish the TPS readout for throttle closed and throttle wide open. In my case 2.6 closed, 85 fully open. This equates to voltage output from the TPS of closed 4.71v and TWO 0.86v. I then needed to establish the read out for temperature. I used 60 deg C (1.00v) and 90 deg C (0.49v). This info will be used with the Innovate Logworks software and the Tuner.

Here's a snap shot of the Innovate LM-2 connected to the bike at idle.

IMG_0216.jpg

AFR is top left, RPM top right, TPS bottom left and temp bottom right

There followed a series of rides out on the bike. The data is recorded by simply pressing the record button (and stopped by pressing same). The first ride out captured the AFR data for the horizontal cylinder. A custom map was then created for me by a Ducati Tuner I have contact with in Germany (the logs were emailed). The next run captured AFR for the vertical cylinder. This allowed the Delta Map to be created for the vertical cylinder. This was repeated two more times until we were satisfied with the AFR.

The data from the LM-2 can be downloaded from the device using the Innovate supplied Logworks software. It is very easy to use and has a wizard that allows voltage to converted into a different output. In my case the TPS voltage was converted to degrees and the temp voltage converted to deg C. If you want to have a play with Logworks it can be downloaded from the Innovate site. Here's one of the logs from my bike to load

Log File

To upload the map files you will need the equipment and software to write to the ECU. I'm fortunate to have access to this and was able to do the uploads myself. If you have the leads for JPDiag then providing the maps are in .bin format you could use Guzzidiag Writer.

For the tuning you could also use Tunerpro and the definition files on the Guzzidiag download page.

My tuning was done for street use and as a result the bike is smoother at low RPM and there has been a slight increase in MPG.

I was lucky enough to be able to borrow the LM-2 but if I was investing in one myself I would buy the twin lambda version. This would have allowed the Delta Mapping for the vertical cylinder to be captured at the same time.

TPS.jpg

Coil.jpg

Temp.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

#1 chrisw, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Interesting, I have the LM2 for tuning my jet ski, this is useful information, thanks for sharing.

3. fantastic:upyeah:
    your AFR looks ok
    from this Post waiting lot to learn

4. Just seen this after buying one yesterday for diagnostic work on bikes, Very handy guide! Thanks for sharing.

5. I've been trying to set up my Ducati Monster 796 with this using the LM-2. So far it's going well. I tried the inductive clamp for RPM with no success. I've ordered connectors and will be testing the coil input this weekend. I sure appreciate all the work you have done. It made it seem possible for me. I just compared the schematic from the 2 bikes 1198s and 796 to find the right pins, and boom I got feedback. I'll report back as soon as I get the cable updated.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information