1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inspecting Crank Blanking Plug Via Oil Drain Plug Using Borescope

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Simon Moore, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Inspecting the crank blanking plug via oil drain plug using a borescope on a 2000 900ss ie

Is it possible?

2. Simon. I haven't done it myself with a borescope but I have used a little mirror and you can see up inside. I would say it's possible to have a look, however if the plug is backing out it may not be clear as you are looking at it from the side. It should be slightly recessed so if it appears flush then it's quite possible it's backed out and has had the head shaved off. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

The best way is to take the barrel off as you can see it really well, however you may get the image you need from what you propose

3. I've got to do the flywheel nut and will have a look when I drop the oil. Incredible that Ducati didn't sort this out early on. My bike has only done 11000 miles so maybe its too early ?

4. Simon,
    Mine was backing out at 12k.

Cheers Gaz

5. Gaz what year is your bike?

6. I think they sorted it for ie bikes. Swapped over to steel plugs I read on here maybe?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Looking at various threads there is some concern that it may not have been sorted until 2002

8. Would it not be evident from swarf in the magnet or the filter? Or does it pop out some before it starts scraping?

I was lucky I put my 916 into Snells for a Monty, some years ago, and they discovered mine about to work its way out. I had it sorted at the same time.

9. 1992. I was taking heads off anyway but did not want to split casings. I thought I had got away with it but on closer inspection I could just see it sticking out. I poked something thin down and could turn the plug.
    Oh well primary gear off - thats fun.
    Cheers Gaz

10. It can be done with a conventional puller. A bit of persuasion with a soft faced dead blow does it

11. I use a conventional puller and a wee bit of heat on the gear. Never fails but does come off with a bit of a bang.

12. My ref to the primary gear was for Simons benefit I have already done mine in thread below.
    Splitting Casing - Help
    Cheers Gaz

• Like Like x 1
  13. yes, you can see it's unscrewing long before 'touching' - if aluminium then appears in the long catch filter (can't remember it's proper name). Well documented, the swarf likened to toe nail clippings..

14. My 1999 750ss ie engine is original and has not been stripped before, i was expecting the gallery plug to be aluminium but on inspection it turned out to be steel.

15. Pilib that is good news!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information