1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inspection Of Crashed Ss 939 Bought On Ebay

Discussion in 'Supersport (2016 onwards)' started by brimo, Jan 17, 2021.

1. The only issue I have is its a Ducati . Fine if you are going to keep it but Ducati owners are fussy and will shy away from a hit list Ducati's way more than a Japanese bike which will happily be used on the track. Yes you might use it on the track but they are few people that will.

And to be honest you have paid a bit too much for it .

2. What would be the right price? :)

3. Can't you get the lock-stop repaired by an engineering firm? Someone deft at MIG or TIG should be able sort that out surely.

4. Haha. Good question.

Dropped Ducati's bother me for the reasons I half ( poorly) explained . There is a very limited market for them if / when we want to move them on. Less people track them.
    And if run at all on its side then massive fingers crossed for you.
    Personally I would have dropped out £500 to £800 earlier.

Good luck on the rebuild though !

5. I'll do my math in case someone would be considering a write-off.

Many bikes on copart (salvage auctions) go for prices very close to what non-salvage bikes go on ebay. I also saw cases where something was sold significantly higher on copart than a similar riding bike was on ebay. I think there are two reasons for this:
    - bikes are much easier to take them apart and sell for parts
    - much easier to convert the handlebar to the EU-side and sell there :).

I sold Yamaha mt-125 in mint condition couple years ago and it was pain in the a.. to deal with buyers offering half of what dealer was offering me. So, I know it won't be easier with this bike. But, I was thinking about buying SS for around a year and I know I will keep it for sometime. I guess a non-salvage example would go down by 2.5-3.5k by the time i would want to sell it. It means at that time my bike will be more competitive than it's now if I reduce the price by it (assuming I won't spend 3k fixing it).
    The biggest advantage for me was having something I wanted for a reduced price and having something to work on. I wouldn't buy it during summer if I needed to sell my other bike

• Like Like x 1
  6. If you are happy with what you got for the money you paid then it was the right price.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I only buy a bike because I want that bike. I never buy one for resale value.
    Everything in the UK seems to be about money. Why can't people just go and enjoy something without worrying about money?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
  8. Really glad its worked out well and you certainly sound happy so thats all that matters.

I'm looking forward to your tales of refurb with lots of pics!

9. Thanks for the tip, I will check how much it might cost. I'm hoping for finding a pre-owned part but right now I'm slowly going through damages and making notes what i need to buy first.

10. This is Thatchers fault.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Resale value is odd.
    I've a couple of classic cars which people would say I've made a fortune on. One has probably increased by 50%, and the other nearly tripled in price.
    But.
    If I add what I have spent storing, maintaining, undersealing, perfecting, servicing, taxing etc, I reckon I may just about break even.
    There's also often a good difference between the so called worth, and what someone will in actual fact pay for it.
    I don't even think about it anymore.
    If you will enjoy repairing it, a few hundred quid either way is neither here nor there.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  12. It will make a great anchor.

13. My wife thought it was foldable. Btw both, this one and mine, are originally from Yorkshire.

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information