1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance To Include Non-competitive Hill Climbs

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by Bridgland, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Want some advice for an insurance company recommendation to cover bike and a Hill Climb, or a a separate Hill Climb policy.

I have entered my 888 for the Shere Hill Climb in Surrey. This is a demonstration event and not a timed competition. My current insurers are claiming this is a Hill Climb and I will not be insured during the event and while on the closed parts of the road fo the event. I could go and argue it, but they don't seem to want to listen as the only policy add-on they provide is for Track Days and excludes Hill Climbs specifically. Therefore I need insurance.

The event regulations state the following: -
    1. The event is a demonstration run of classic vehicles.
    2. Although the road is closed to the public, it is subject to normal road traffic regulation. All vehicles must be road legal and drivers must hold a valid driving licence.
    3. Entrants must ensure that their vehicles are properly maintained in a road-worthy condition and are capable of tackling the hill.
    4. Drivers must drive in a responsible manner. Marshals are instructed to flag down drivers who in their opinion are travelling at an excessive speed or driving dangerously and those doing so will be excluded from the event. The speed limit on Staple Lane is 60 mph.
    5. Entrants vehicles must be fully insured and in the event of an accident the organisers will accept no liability or claims.
    Do I go fight the exclusion?
    Do I look for Event insurance only?
    Is there an insurer I should talk to to change my classic insurance over to?

Any thoughts and suggestions welcome.

2. Really odd one this. A recent thread concerning track day insurance, highlighted a few exclusions and unexpected restrictions on what parts of the bike were insured and what wasn’t. I don’t understand what the organisers are not accepting liability for. It would appear that third party liability insurance for an individual just isn’t available in the UK and your standard legal requirement bike insurance won’t cover you on closed roads, regardless of the event. These people, https://www.footmanjames.co.uk/clas...Sm4Ec26gj2qWZB2-PdkbqALi30q01wa0aAjohEALw_wcB, used to offer cover for parade laps so might be worth a chat. Andy

3. That is who I am with and as it is called a "Hill Climb" they won't cover it. I think I need to talk to someone more "in the know" there.

4. Thanks - Is that an insurance company called Morris, or someone at Footman James?

5. Hill Climbs are viewed very much like the 'Ring, they are generally quite a high risk and not one that insurers want to take on, a lot is to do with spectator proximity etc (hillclims that is) and they don't have a lot of run off, its a niche sport with huge risks.

Might be worth trying Towergate, taken from their website:

https://www.towergateinsurance.co.uk/motorcycle-track-day-insurance

What motor events and activities do you cover?
    We provide cover for a range of track-related activities and events, including: motor rallies (classic cars and motorcycles); hill climbing (within the UK); car track days (non-racing); and motorcycle track days, both non-competitive racing and non-racing (overseas and within the UK). If an activity you are interested in is not listed here, please get in touch with our team - it may still be covered.

6. Here you go,

they do various policies

https://trackday.moris.co.uk/

7. I have spoken to the team at Footman James and they couldn't have been more helpful and understanding. As this isn't a competitive time trial, but a demonstration run of eclectic and interesting cars and bikes, that is more akin to a parade lap. They are going to ask the Underwriters for a concession for this event. If they called it the "Shere Car and Bike Show" rather than the "Shere Hill Climb" then we would have less of an issue.

#8 Bridgland, Jul 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information