1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting Oil Mesh Filter??

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by jose, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Interesting, I just spoke to two different Ducati service reps that both said that the Oil Mesh Filter only needs changing at 600 miles and on major services. When I asked why, they said that the only reason to have to open the cover and check is Incase of engine, transmission problems.
    They both recommend not to open the cover to the oil mesh filter due to problems with future leaking from the cover. They said they put some type of sealer grease to avoid leaking. Torque alone isn’t enough. They also said that the oil filter is very easily damaged and should not be taken off unless absolutely necessary.
    Well, that was news to me?? Anyone having issues with leakage from the cover?

2. So I ended up calling a third dealer for something I was looking for.
    Well of course I asked them the same questions about this oil mesh filter deal. This guy said he has had bikes in his shop that when do extensive servicing for other things, the routine is to do oil changes and oil mesh filter checks. He said that in his 10 years with Ducati, he has never seen metal flakes on the filter. This is something you would see on a bike with known engine, clutch issues. He did say that before that would happen, you would notice something going wrong with the clutch or engine.
    He went on to basically say to stay away from removing it because it is just waisted time with possibly damaging the filter thread and cover which tend to leak if not sealed correctly.
    I guess 3 out of 3 Ducati Service guy’s all agree on this . I personally am not cleaning it , leave to the service guy’s when they do big services.

3. Useful to check on desmoquattro engines if you don't want to remove the camshafts for signs of flaking rockers (they have flaked by this point :bucktooth:). A new joint costs pennies like the sump bolt joint, I can't see why it would be more prone to leaking.
    After first oil change you could argue that the run-in wear has taken place and it will be unlikely that anything serious is going to happen that you would be able to find by checking it - personal preference/insurance I guess

4. Depends which motor.... The later, deep sump'd bikes with the plate cover are scheduled to have the filter inspected/cleaned at 15k/18k miles depending the bike. As Harry said, the earlier motors, especially desmoquattros, benefit from cleaning everytime the oil is changed. It's a good indicator of rocker wear and it also releases further oil from the pump pickup, about 300ml, so there's as much fresh oil gets used as possible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. When I spoke to the service guy's, I did specifically tell them it was a Hypermotard 950 sp.
    Other bikes may be a different case.

6. Your hyper is on 18k miles schedule for filter inspect.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information