1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intermitant Mis Fire St4

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by Mick.H, Jun 20, 2014.

1. I have an intermitant fire on my ST4 916

I have changed plugs, HT leads, coli & fuel injector. Will run great for 5 miles then start to misfire sometimes the front cylinder but mainly the rear. Any ideas?? Many thanks

2. Hello and welcome

3. More detail required i think.

What speeds and conditions when this occurs. Does it sit happily at idle ?

4. Two quick checks - make sure the big multi-pin plug on the side of the ECU is secure. And check the big multi-pin plug to the left of the headstock - if any damp gets in there it can cause corroded pins which lead to all sorts of weird thing happening.
    Just a thought - is there any contamination inside the fuel tank? The fault my not necessarily be electrical...

5. Many thanks for the replies.

It happens intermitantly, usualy get 5 to 10 miles before it starts playing up but have had 40+ miles to work but the fault happened in 5 miles coming home in the cool evening. Can happen at any speed. I can leave it to cool down for up to an hour and it sometimes restarts and sometimes does not.

6. Sounds more like rust in the fuel tank or a dirty fuel filter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Good point, MC. Have you plugged a plug to see how it looks? If it is misfiring I'd imagine you'd have sooty/blackened plugs from fuel burning when it isn't supposed to.

If not, then it might be a fuel delivery issue, as pointed out, possibly filter or crud related.

A

8. Did you find a solution as my 900ss ie is doing the same thing.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information