1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Investment Bikes?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by d8mok, May 18, 2016.

1. Which bike do you like the most?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Funny I was just thinking earlier today that I’d love a K1 GSXR 1000... they have that bad boy image, look great in blue and white... what’s not to like?

3. I have a low mile MV F4 750, was maybe going to sell it next year. I also have a new GSX-R 1000 K1 :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  4. Screenshot_20180401-194223.png
    Here's my k2 1000 getting ridden as it should. :p

5. Bought a.916 new in 94 still have it all original that was.a good investment better than money in the bank

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yes I’d heard the 749R was more desirable but I like the style of the 748R more but not sure I can justify the extra money I’d have to spend to get a low mileage one.
    Looking on eBay right now, the 996 is a good price with that mileage, there’s a lot with 2 or 3 times the mileage for more money. That’s why I added it to my list. Interested to know what you think I should pay for a 996 with <10k miles.

7. You need at least a genuine mono if going for a 996 as an investment...

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. I had one of those from new! Same colour too.

Lovely engine. I remember the brakes were a bit wooden, especially after my 998S before it which had the Brembo master cyclinder which was sublime. I had braided hoses and sintered pads, but still not a patch on Ducati brakes. I really enjoyed that bike...

9. What do people here think of the Suzuki GSXR 750J - the slab sided bike? I LOVE the look of those, they seem to have dated well and look classically dated. But I seem to recall they were a handful... does anyone have experience of them?

The other bike I’ve always fancied is the original blade, in black...

10. If you look closely I've got Ducati brakes on my bike, best of both worlds.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. To be fair if there were any decent investment Ducati's left and the owner woke up and decided to sell he'd find Elise in his kitchen making him a coffee.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. I guess that’s true of a 916 also? I couldn’t afford a high spec limited run model but could still get an original low mileage twin seat bike.

13. 750J was the first of the short stroke slingshot models and they are steadily rising in value along with the earlier 'Slabby' models, they have what can almost be described as a power band when they hit 7k revs in 3rd gear and come on cam, the DOT head from these models are sought after because of the aggressive cams...mine is still a work in progress but even so it does have a certain charm and it goes like stink.:)

DSC_1666.JPG

#153 yellowducmaniac, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  14. I think that's cool. A few minor changes (mirrors, screen, indicators, swingarm etc.) and it would look properly awesome!

15. Thanks...most of these bikes have been 'streetfightered' so its getting quite hard to find one in original condition, its always a matter of personal taste but I will be keeping it as OE as possible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. I agree if you wish to preserve it, just that it would look almost contemporary with a few cosmetic changes. 99.9% of street fighters are fucking lame along with the bell-ends that ride them (although I have just bought one; more of a tactical move). Well done for not going down that route like some wannabe Mad Max, but with no friends!

17. Ha-ha! I did subconsciously wonder about that flash of gold at the bottom of the forks, but couldn’t remember the colour of my K2’s brakes!!

18. That is lovely! It’s funny, I think Suzukis in blue and white have a special place in my heart thanks to the bikes I used to drool over in bike mags in my youth, like the RGV250s etc. I still remember seeing your bike model on magazine covers of the time! But I was unsure if the nostalgic memories would be let down by the reality!

Sounds interesting! I had a quick google last night, and was mildly shocked at some of the prices being asked for low mileage examples. I’m actually not in it for the investment, so much as living the nostalgic dream, so mileage wouldn’t worry me at all. I’m selling my investment car shortly (which has done well) so I’m tempted to, ahem, ‘reinvest’ some of the cash...

19. They were the gold 6 pot calipers originally , not very good though, im running my 748 brembos and a brembo rcs mater cylinder. :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. I remember when I had my K2 it was all the rage at the time to take off the standard indicator lights and fit tiny ones, and to put tail-tidies on (most of which looked totally naff). I guess the original parts all got tossed or left in garages and attics...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information