1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Irish Section?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by West Cork Paul, Oct 10, 2018.

1. B526EA50-6C2E-488A-B3B8-EA6133E543FF.jpeg Anyone for Eirexit next? It seems Irish seas are awash with bluefin tuna at the moment but Irish fishermen aren’t allowed to catch them.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. i thought you were showing us the full range at mooneyboats.ie

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. heard a bit on this the other day, conservationist say the numbers are only just starting to increase due to over fishing in the past. they are suggesting that fishing for tuna should be restricted to catch and release.
    possibly just a bit of lobbying from the already wealthy fleet owners looking for a bit more rape and pillage?

• Love You Love You x 1
  4. Nah, not Irish wealthy fleet owners. The big boats, like the one in the picture, are mostly Spanish. They fish in Irish territorial, sorry EU, waters off the coast of Ireland, then they unload into Spanish articulated freezer lorries who drive it straight back to Spain. The Irish market never sees the catch or benefits from it. Any lobbying is coming from other countries fishing industries. All our guys want to do is to be able to hold onto any tuna they trawl up.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. looks like anyone of our west coast boats. :upyeah:
    i don't know about Irish fleet tbh, tho fishing is the only voice in town over and up here and even then, its only the N.E we ever hear about. bu their pro brexit. (with only 1%of gdp) and near falf of all quotas owned by a whopping mount of......5families.
    i got this.
    In the past two years substantial numbers of giant tuna have been caught by Irish angling vessels, however in their wisdom the Irish authorities decided to ban angling for giant tuna in Irish waters in 2014 even on a catch and release basis, as Ireland does not have a commercial quota!
    This dumping is brought about by the fact that the Irish and UK authorities do not and have not claimed any of the available by catch quota for giant tuna and the E.U is unwilling to direct part of the European quota to Ireland and the UK.
    why not?
    http://www.tuna.ie/tuna.html

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  6. yip loz, 5 families own 33% of uk quotas and a further 15% through subsidiary companies. before any processing is taken into consideration N/E boats only account for 1% of our gdp. yet, they are the only ones with a voice up here. 5 families.
    what quota deals have they done?

7. So it's like farming then, small farms get swallowed up, big farms get bigger and all the consideration from Brussels concentrates the wealth in the hands of the few.

It's like a mini-corporatocracy, the sort you get when government interferes in commerce to the extent that you don't know where one starts and the other finishes.

Right, gotcha. The problem is with *five families*. Solid work, finderman.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. did you watch the vid where the uk gov gave 160mill of somebody else's CAP money to the bigger farms in another country whom it wasn't intended for? then attempt to blame the EU CAP system?
    it's not Brussels that encourages this, it's the UK.
    but we are talking about Ireland.
    the piece says no quotas have been issued to Ireland nor applied for. there appears to be some very powerful people within the fishing industry, why haven't they asked for a quota? have they done deals with other fleet owners?

9. Meh. At this point I cannot see any meaningful difference between Brussels and the current UK government

Yes, we were talking about Ireland. You spotted that.

There is a fascination in the World with selling things that aren't things. "Futures". "Quotas". Hypothetical things.
    Aristotle taught us that the map IS the territory but he was wrong. Fish is fish, not quotas. We should buy and sell fish, not the idea of fish. Once you go down that route, you get ... this.

Governments do their best to act in our interest - say, by creating quotas to ensure that fish stocks are not entirely depleted - but the inevitable result is that we get the issue we are currently discussing. Small groups of powerful people making money out of an industry where fish is a by-product, not the core purpose. People are greedy, if they can corner the market in the fishing industry by purchasing quotas, they will. Other people are greedy, if they can buy cheap fish instead of thinking locally and buying locally, they will do.

Ordinary people reward corporations, they reward the idea of corporations. Until you address that, government will continue to apply ineffective sticking plasters to the problems we see.

My solution? Suck it up. Or change the system. I already know which one you'll choose although you think it will be the other thing.

10. Meh. At this point I cannot see any meaningful difference between Brussels and the current UK government.
    why is that? the customer pays me, to provide a service, but i don't pay the staff. its clearly the customer thats got to assume half the blame?
    uh huh. :thinkingface:

11. There is a fascination in the World with selling things that aren't things. "Futures". "Quotas". Hypothetical things.
    Aristotle taught us that the map IS the territory but he was wrong. Fish is fish, not quotas. We should buy and sell fish, not the idea of fish. Once you go down that route, you get ... this.
    nope.
    i do get the idea of selling of futures tho.

12. Governments do their best to act in our interest - say, by creating quotas to ensure that fish stocks are not entirely depleted - but the inevitable result is that we get the issue we are currently discussing. Small groups of powerful people making money out of an industry where fish is a by-product, not the core purpose. People are greedy, if they can corner the market in the fishing industry by purchasing quotas, they will. Other people are greedy, if they can buy cheap fish instead of thinking locally and buying locally, they will do.
    do you think 500mill motivated people have more sway over a small, but mega powerful and wealthy group of families than say, 60mill? i do.
    this bit gave me the biggest giggle
    Governments do their best to act in our interest

13. Ordinary people reward corporations, they reward the idea of corporations. Until you address that, government will continue to apply ineffective sticking plasters to the problems we see.
    a certain insewinnse gov, took on the drinks industries and won. they also took action against Amazon recently (for all the credit they got) and won. its all doable, with the right gov of course.

14. Carefull fin, your starting to sound like peoples votes are more important than company profits, your starting to sound like a brexiteer :D

15. aye well, if yer dumb enough to believe that brexit was ever about the "people" then meh. heard it all before.

16. Shush finderman.
    You are talking about business pratices, I am talking about political shenanigans. There's a subtle difference which I realise you will not appreciate.

17. ffs, you need to make yer mind up. or at the very least remember yer previous points in other threads. gees, the arse over elbow contortions the brexiteer gets themselves into, oh i do not know.

18. Shhhhhhhhhhhhh :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Oddly phrased question.

Motivated in what way? In what way do 500m people interact with the wealthy group?

I can easily imagine 60m holding more sway, if those 60m represent the target market and the 500m are mere interested observers, tutting on social media and "writing letters to the editor".

Ask better questions, finderman. Politics 101.

I hoped it would. It was targeted at you and your red-headed girlfriend : o D

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information