1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Is It A 916 Sps?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by FirePhil, Jan 15, 2019.

1. There is a chance that it is one of the 202 original Foggy Reps of course:thinkingface: they were re homologated with the new frame: was it for a larger airbox?
    Who knows the frame difference??? :eyes:

2. True, but the registration couldn't say 996 if the frame wasn't an SPS in Jan 1998 could it?

3. And 2 injectors per cylinder from the pics - looks like an SP/SPS engine.

4. The centre frame bracing is a lot lower to allow for an airbox that would surround the throttle bodies and possibly relocated ignition coils. Much the same as a 748R I think

5. Bit it could be a bitsa (evidence suggests it is) with a 916 engine

6. Who cares what it is,just get it fixed up and start riding it:upyeah::upyeah::upyeah:

#66 XH558, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. It is indeed a 916 SPS :) Build date 13th November 1997, although a 1998 model year bike. There's no engine number recorded against it (not uncommon) unfortunately. But the pictures of the twin pickups and twin injectors don't really convince me it's anything but a SPS motor. "916" in the engine number is a bit strange though???? Maybe needs a bit of looking into to be sure. First owner looks to have been in Stockport.

• Like Like x 7
  8. Result :):upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Can you tell a sandcast casing from a picture? Maybe that could help with a shot from the back of the motor?

#69 bradders, Jan 17, 2019
  10. Happy days you lucky man:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  11. shot? :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Funny, innit, if I try to write shit it auto corrects to shot normally :confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. That's really shot that is :thinkingface:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  14. Looks sand cast to me. There doesn't appear to be any paint either on the cases or heads which is usually SPS.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Can you tell on your system if it left the factory with that engine number? Or would he need to e-mail Italy for that detail?

EDIT - just re read your note :) so the factory may not know either...

16. Cheers for all the help guys, much appreciated. None of the casings are painted and look to have a sand cashing finish. Although the mould and rust prevent me seeing much else. The V5 says it was sold in Chester, maybe Chester Ducati? Worth an email. I'll update when I hear back from Ducati. Unless you want more pics as evidence..... no, I'm not photographing the inside of the small bearing before you ask!:joy::motorcycleduc:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Whats the plan? Get it running and just ride it as is? Or restore to @cookster levels of awesomeness and keep for very special events?

#77 bradders, Jan 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Enjoy the bloody thing whatever! Looks like you've got something "interesting" anyway.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. The plan is to enjoy the bloody thing! Already runs awesomely. Plan is to strip it down as the frame needs repainting. While the engine is out, will vapour blast what I can, rechrome everything else, replace fasteners with stainless or titanium, currently refurbing the carbon, then full fairing respray to whatever model it turns out to be!
    I have dirt bikes to play on, so I can take my time. Plus I shall need all your lovy advice! Oh and shocks need doing too lol.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Love it :upyeah:

They come apart easily. Although cant say I've ever got to the stage of putting them all back together LOL

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information