1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Is It A 916 Sps?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by FirePhil, Jan 15, 2019.

1. If you need any help have a look at my 996sps thread. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bloody hell @cookster that is a bike and a half! I'd love to that far, but my mate who builds engines is a stickler for standard and won't let me touch it! And I can't afford I either :(.
    Mine will be bit by bit as funds allow, will be doing a lot myself in a small garage. Plus I have a cagiva mito, cbr600 f4i projects and 2 dirt bikes that need turning into a ktm as well! Slow and steady...:bucktooth:

• Like Like x 3
  3. Yeah it's mint alright but there are still bits that I think are not quite up to standard. Makes me laugh when people say there bike is mint then they see my level of mint.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Congrats FirePhil for the find, looks like a great project!
    Sounds like it could be a '98 model SPS that had its motor changed for an earlier 916 (SP?) one to me.

5. Or a factory anomaly - worth checking still with Italy if he hasn't already... @FirePhil ?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yes I agree it definitely worth checking with the factory in any case :upyeah:

PS & edit: btw I would recommend against repainting the frame unless it is really in very bad shape / there is no other option.
    It looks just fine from the pictures to me for a bike meant to be used, and a frame repaint on those old gold particular models is usually seen as a not so good point in case you'd want to resell one day, especially very hard to match the original color/texture on those + always brings the question on why the repaint, why were there damage that required to do so etc..

#86 Anje, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Waiting for a response from.
    Bologna! I agree, I'm refreshing and repairing carbon at the mo, the engine may need to come out for a proper clean, and so far the frame doesn't look too bad. Maybe a gentle touch up to remove discolouration around some welds. Wait and see!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Just sanding down then carbon as several bits are severely faded. Found that the carbon air box is from a 748r. I feel that a previous owner has tried to turn this into a foggy rep. 20190121_194900.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. So, stripping down, and as previously mentioned, the clocks are red, when I think they are supposed to be white and green. Any ideas?
    Also, the bottom piece of the exhaust has a dent, is this on purpose to fit inside the fairing, or do I need to see a man with a water pump!
    Think I'll start in the projects thread with the next queries! 20190125_125126.jpg

10. You have some period 'tat' clock faces - people swapped them who and no taste or were clinically insane.
    Some people hack sawed around the back of the bezel and re glued to swap - if you were careful I think you could get them apart without doing this. There was a recent thread on here about removal of the bezel. You probably can't buy spare faces - I would look out for new clocks: often on Ebay for around £100 each or so {new old stock} - then wind to the correct mileage... make sure the temp gauge is in centigrade as yours and the speedo is the same to 180mph (presuming the white face dials were the same of the original clocks - there were a few differences. Do a bit of research first to confirm the correct clocks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Nice one! I have come across the same problem on my last Mito build. Prying bezel and carefully cutting through glue. There was a guy that gave you jpegs of the faces, and you just printed them out. Tried researching last night, not much found, and kept getting turned out. Many thanks as always.

12. I like this thread, it’s a bit like Antique Hunters. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Time Team :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Good buy, looking fwd to seeing the progress, looks like fully floating cast iron front discs too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Do we have any word back from Bologna yet?

16. They want proof of ownership and photo Id. I haven't got the V5 back in my name yet, so stuck for a bit!

• Like Like x 1
  17. I'm surprised that Ducati is requesting proof of ownership to check info on some old bike history?
    Not possible to check provenance/originality before a purchase then?

18. I was trying to source some info from them and they wanted photos front/ rear and both sides and proof of ownership (old 888)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Thanks for the info, that's good to know.

20. The factory where great when I wanted info on my Foggy rep prior to purchase, I told them I was looking at buying the bike and wanted to know if it was a genuine foggy rep, no V5, I just emailed them the vin and engine No.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information