1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to have fun on anything?

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by philoldsmobile, Jul 22, 2012.

1. My old 500 Pantah gave me so many good times, it took me all around Europe and never let me down. I guess that's why my Super Pantah is my latest project!

2. Figaro

I'm still grinning from your graphic description of your MZ

"but it was such a friendly, happy bike it was more like a pet than a mode of transport."

Brilliant!

3. I had fun on my MZTS125 Lux. What the "Lux" meant, I have no idea.

Graduated onto a GT750A after my test, big old bus that it was. I remember going back on the MZ when the GT was on one of its many trips to the bike garage. The turning circle...! I was pulling out of a side road, turning right, the thing steered so quickly I nearly found myself going back down the side road. I used to joke to people that when turning around I was in constant danger of ramming up the back of myself. And the top speed - owner's manual said 100kph/62.5mph, which is exactly what the speedo said when flat out. LOL.

Once some of the original East German bits had been replaced with Swedish pattern parts, the bike was amazingly reliable ... except that one time it was so cold that the front wheel froze solid. I was under strict instructions that I was not to spend that night at my girlfriend's house - I even tried to free off the front wheel by "skiing" on the ice/snow until I hit a bare patch of tarmac - didn't work. Nearly a disaster, as you may have guessed. Ended up sneaking back into the gf's house and caught hell for it in the morning. Unsurprisingly perhaps, my excuse didn't wash LOL.

So yes, you can have fun on anything. :biggrin:

4. It was the most apt description I could think of, and it fits fine. I've developed a bond with many bikes (and believe me I've owned a great many); I loved my TL1000S and my ZXR750, and the ST2 and fuglystrada display the same eager, puppy-like traits, always keen to please. But nothing has given me more fun times than that MZ. From riding 3-up into Toulon with the rear passenger facing backwards carrying a crate of beer, to being chased through Hyde park by the police, to picking up a parcel in Fulham only to find the 'parcel' was a callgirl with a passion for motorbikes who just fancied a ride... Somehow none of this would seem right on any other bike.

I'll not get another one. It'll never be the same.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I had plenty of fun on a knackered x-school ER-5 and a wee 125.

... Probably have a little more fun on the Streetfighter mind <grin>

6. I had a Hardly Ableson XR1200S as a courtesy bike. 'Twas no fun at all, however much I tried.

7. And apparently thats the best bike Hardly have ever produced. shame, I quite like the look of it, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to own one...

8. I'm not sure you will. In fact I think you'll find it hard work rather than fun.

Not that there's anything wrong with the bike, far from it, but you'll probably never know what the very, very top speed is, or how far over you can go before the Cheng Shin's give up (ask your dad about them...), or how hard you can brake before slinging it on it's side. Cos the bikes nowadays are just too good, too quick, too accomplished for us mere mortals.

Part of the fun of riding an old shitter is being able to use it to it's fullest potential. The other part is not caring about the performance at all. We can't all be Casey, after all.

9. Ha! Good fun indeed. I remember being pillion two-up on a GT185 on die youngs (ask yer brothers uncle) in the piss pouring rain going into a corner waaay-toooo-fassst, and doing the carlos fandango pirouette down the road, getting up laughing about it and then smartly off to the pub, with the obligatory hole in a new pair jeans, happy days.

10. Holes in your everyday trousers from having an off ... I'd forgotten about such things! LOL. It's all so safe these days :smile:

11. I dunno... There is certain fun to be had on a Hardly, just so long as you don't want to go anywhere fast. Only major problem I found was the swaying to and fro at traffic lights on tick over. Made me seasick. Not a thing to ride in town after a big Chinese.

12. Cheng Shins are now known as Maxxis, and apparently are getting better all the time. Will you buy some now? ... thought not.
    MZ's came fitted with Pneumants - remember them? Lasted forever, but very little grip.

13. I changed some Michelin something something M89s in the 90s. They just refused to wear out. They were ruining the fun from my 851. I sometimes used to stop and inspect them after they had stepped out, being sure that there was oil on them. They were OK on track day, amazingly. On a hot day, given enough abuse, they stuck. But on a greasy cold col, they didn't.

14. Oh, Im plenty old enough to know Cheng Shin. Knowing the top speed or dropping the bike aint my everyday idea of fun either... I know what you're getting at but my fun involves a Sunday blast, riding within my limits (not to the bikes') then cleaning or doing oily things with a beer in the garden in the sun.

15. I have a Honda PCX and that is a hoot. Might buy a Yamaha Fizzy next year and re-live my (misspent) youth.

16. I remember getting the pegs down on my dads 250 superdream on a cheng shin ribbed front tyre........

17. Getting the pegs down on a 535 Virago, and getting the sort of fork flex that Robin Hood used to get on his short bow, well, that was grin-inducing.
    I was glad to give the bike back to the owner after a few months as it was so bloody uncomfortable to sit on, but it was hilarious to go scratching down the back roads on it :biggrin:

18. I once had a go on a virago 535. Awful......I'd rather stick pins in my eyes :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  19. I came back from France once and hooked up with a 535 Virago owner on the ferry, he was an accountant, it was huge fun, NOT!!!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information