1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is It Time To Slow The Tt

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by doogalman, May 31, 2018.

?

Is it time to slow the TT ?

Poll closed Jun 7, 2018.
  1. Yes

3.9%
  2. Maybe

6.5%
  3. No

89.6%
  1. I would think the margin for error for bigger bikes to get away from you is smaller, more likely to high side under power etc maybe. Problem is that if you sanitise it, you get formula 1 which is a dull fest as a tv spectacle now.

I may be wrong but most of the deaths seem to come from lower level riders. Not meaning that disrespectfully because they are fast guys but more of a top amateur etc. So are they not up to it, riding inferior machines or taking such big risks to get a result that it goes pear shaped ?

either way I think there are avenues to explore before you cut the cc for everyone, maybe they need a closer look at who rides the biggest classes.

2. No one is a gladiator anymore.
    Bulls are unable to express their opinion on bull-fighting, are you suggesting that TT riders are similarly non-sentient?
    Godwinism ducked.
    Correct.
    You are a hand-wringer, not a hand-dryer. important difference.

Glad to have helped.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bulls are sentient too.

4. Yeah, you would say that though.

5. This looks nice/safe sensible:zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:: unamused::rolleyes: 1000w_q95.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. A point which occurs to me concerns speed of reactions. Riders at speed have to take actions in a continuous stream, and many of those are time-critical. An action taken a fraction of a second too soon or too late can result in a crash. Not all riders can get it right to the millisecond every time. Leaving the braking point a tenth of a second late at 100 mph might lead to a poor line round a corner; a tenth of a second late at 200 mph might leave the rider unable to make the corner at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. But who are you to make it safer Pete! You’ve never ridden a bike round the TT or made love to a mermaid or anything. Make it faster I say! Put more stone walls up and ban helmets! No one’s forcing them to do it!

8. I’m not certain but I think he may have....

9. That was a salmon in a bikini!

10. Leavewell alone if big bikes are banned the smaller stuff will just develop to take the place.the riders and officials already do all they can to promote safe meetings.

11. I did mean the TT bit bit, now you mention it, maybe that was a pastime too..

12. It wouldn’t take much to look at the data and see if there is actually a trend of more deaths/ injuries in the bigger and/ or ‘faster’ bike categories. I don’t fancy doing it but instinctively don’t believe there is.

In which case, what are we talking about?

Similarly, is the number of deaths/ injuries actually increasing as lap times reduce? Again, suspect not. Arguably that stat is impacted by improved safety - but as has been said, there is only so much you can do

13. Just listening to TT radio and an interesting point from Josh Daley who said he prefers the 1000 to the 600 because you don’t have to ride it so hard in the corners.

14. Air bag suits
    Air fences where possible

That's it from me

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Leave it alone, think they should have a moto gp class too.:D

16. Don’t see how that works if you want to win. The winning guy will be riding his 1000 just as hard as he can in the corners. Same as a 600. Josh you’re sacked for lazy point and squirt riding on the big bikes :) Playing games?!

17. It will end up being a Classics only event at some point in the future.

18. Dan Kneen’s accident is of course still an unknown.
    We are debating a reduction in capacity or changes to technical regs etc but until we know the facts from witness testimony or interrogation of technical data produced at inquest its all speculation.
    He may have had a mechanical problem, animal strike we just don’t know at this stage.
    He may have lost concentration or simply pushed the bike Beyond it’s safe limit.
    If the latter is the case then the result will be the same no matter what bike you are riding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. I am really sorry that another guy has lost life.

I am dismayed that other people think they are right to want changes that affect other people, changes which only affect other people and not them or the wider public. Seatbelts and crash helmets save the country a fortune in NHS costs so I grudgingly go along with it only because there are benifits to be had from the money saved and spent in other health sectors. That said I do not wear helmets or seatbelts in countries where it is not mandatory.

It is completely a personal choice for any adult to make, to participate in any activity, allegedly dangerous or otherwise and their perfect right to do so. Anyone who thinks its their right to decide for others needs to think again (unless there is a probable huge gain for wider society).

Stop The Nanny State.

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  20. I've watched and been to many a tt and it's always sad when somebody loses their life doing the thing they love the most.

The thing is, as the tt is no longer mandatory for teams and riders, all involved are there because of the love of the event and all it entails.

If the tt was moved to a short circuit, most of the entrants wouldn't be there. They ride BECAUSE it's the tt and everything that comes with it.

It is the last bastion of none nannie state and the ultimate challenge on two wheels.

The term 'beautiful danger' sums it up well.... Nobody (fans and riders) want to see serious accidents and all are there to experience the thrill.

Diluting the capacity max is not the answer, in fact there is no answer and in some ways that's what makes it such a special challenge.....

It truly is the ultimate and long may it continue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information