1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is This A Thing Of Beauty?!

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by John - Ducati Bournemouth, Jul 6, 2022.

1. Reporting post to moderator on account of yellowism.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. It's a Red (or yellow in this case)-Herring.....It's a 2000 bike that was imported from Italy in 2004. We have email confirmation from Bologna as to where it was supplied originally in Italy and the fact that it is a legitimate R!

• Like Like x 3
  3. ...and Suzuki dirt bikes!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Well that was a good trade in deal...

5. Who cares about the color? It's the ride that matters.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. It’s an import hence being on a 54 plate and the Ohlins was part of the original spec in some markets

• Like Like x 1
  7. It really is s credit to its former owner .very original apart from the terms. Mono seat was fitted from new. 4400 miles

8. The 2000MY had Showa forks and Öhlins rear shock as standard. It wasn’t until the middle of 2001 that the 748R got Öhlins forks as well. Production of the 748R ceased in the middle of 2002 and it wasn’t unusual for dealers to have a bike kicking around until 2003 and in some cases, buyers didn’t register their bikes at purchase. Not surprised the bike is on a 54 plate. I have a 2001, yellow, full Öhlins 748R sitting in my dining room waiting for its bodywork to be refitted. Still very short of round toits in my house :joy: Andy

• Like Like x 1
  9. Love a yellow 748.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Whatever mod they made didn’t work because the same issue carried over to the 749/999 mono’s with the aluminium subframes.

11. Hi Mark. I’m in Poole 19-21/8. What nights are bike nights?

12. Mono sub frame on the 749/999 is very different to the 748R mono subframe. Been no issues with mono sub frames on the 996 and 998. Andy

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Every day's a school day! :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hi….Poole Bike Night is every Tuesday across the summer, looks like it won’t work with your dates unfortunately. If you’re at a loose end, message me first and come to the Volkswagen site in Poole (Breeze)….John or I will gladly share a coffee and talk Ducati’s!

• Like Like x 1
  15. I’ll be around and would gladly share a coffee with you.
    Where are you coming from? Are you bringing the bike?

16. Well kinda, there seems to be some ambiguity around '00 748R as the R replaced the SP/SPS (I forget which) model that had Showa forks and an Ohlins shock with the new R model with homologated frame and Showa TiN forks and Showa shock, then as you say it graduated to the model with Ohlins and eventually the 998 fairings (flat sided to accomodate the Testastretta engine in the 998) and a bit more carbon too?

I know mine ('00 748R) has the Showa front and rear, and they're decent bouncy bits when serviced and set up properly (had them on my old '01 748S the same). Ohlins look mega but in my experience they're either the best thing (lovely and supple - 999S) or a step backward (rock hard - Panigale 899 with upgraded shock). An '01/'02 R would have been my instinctive choice, but my '00 R is what I have.

Trying to pin down the correct specs can be challenging. Yellow though, has to be yellow! :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. slightly off-topic Mark, but how many bikes approx do you tend to get at Poole this year? I promised myself a trip there on Tuesday many years ago due to people posting on what a good event it was. When I finally made it on a typical Summer's eve, it was quite the let-down. Would be great to see some pictures on here in the Random Picture thread even, if someone was up for it. :upyeah:

18. R is for oRange...........:yum

C7A3BADE-34A7-4B2E-A7DB-F0C87482A5E3_1_102_o.jpeg

• WTF WTF x 1
  19. Hi Chris - it's heavily weather dependant! If it's a lovely, bright summers evening then upwards of 700 and if it's cold and windy then it can be half that!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information