1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is This Sprocket Still In Ok Condition?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by michel couque, May 11, 2021.

1. So had a clean, rear sprocket looks ok, chain in fair condition and only comes back about 3mm when pulled . Had a look at front sprocket which looks pretty worn to me but I will be guided by you who know better. Cleared out loads of accumulated shit there. One thing I noted, very little clearance between the clutch slave cylinder and the chain??

1E29A7A3-6742-403E-8927-A4E336E0EA46.jpeg

D3908D29-C472-44ED-9D48-B0FD0FC0F88B.jpeg

EEA555E7-4180-48C9-BE3C-1533582AD790.jpeg

2DBA4C3E-7263-42E7-9958-6FF66FD62D69.jpeg

2. Sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news, your rear sprocket is rogered. As has been previously stated, at this stage, it’s time to dig deep and replace all three. Andy

3. Thanks Andy.

kinda knew in my head it’s time to renew, feels lumpy to ride too.
    I’m digging deep, turns out Halfords online sell Afam kits at remarkably low prices. BUT there is absolutely no info available from them as th chain pitch, sprocket teeth, amount of chain links. I have phoned them and they have none of that info, shame .

4. It’s in your owners handbook. If it’s the same as mine, 530 x 108 links, 15/40 teeth sprockets is stock. I dropped to 14 on the front which uses the same number of links. Andy

5. Think you misunderstood, I am familiar with the standard gear, but there is no way of telling from Halfords what is in the Afam kits they are selling, no product description and on the phone they said they had no details available. They said I could purchase one I think is possible , open it to check amount of links etc, and return if needed. Hell of a faff but at around £160 it’s an absolute bargain?

• WTF WTF x 1
  6. Yes, I did misunderstand. What a way to run a business. This link, https://www.afam.com/en/service-2/kit-configurator-afam/ gives the standard kit part number. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Just looked at the Halfords web site and what a crock of useless sh*t. I wonder where on the AFAM packaging the detail is, surely not on the reverse which they don’t show ? Andy

8. From a girlie point of view I would change it all

• Like Like x 1
  9. One last question, I am considering 42 teeth rear sprocket. Gearingcommander says still 108 chain links, has anyone put on 42 teeth rear and 108 links is correct.

10. Michel,
    Have a search on eBay, I’m sure you could beat that price

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142463845074

I
    just had a quick search not knowing the full details of your bike, I just pumped in 1200 multistrada and it spat out loads of C&S kits, the one above is only £80 quid!

Im sure you could get a good set for around the £130 quid mark :upyeah:

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Yes, I just checked gear commander and I’m sorry, I don’t believe it. The eccentric adjuster will be between 25 or 20 to the hour, which is not optimal. What are you looking for ? I find a 14 tooth sprocket on the front well. Andy

12. New chain.jpg

Yeah Baby!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. Once upon a time I was recommended to change gearing on rear sprocket, as changing the front is quite harsh to the transmission on our V twins, hence rear sprocket customisation. However you have 14 tooth and no doubt it works fine and you are far far more educated than me on these things. So I will try 14 front, also if I can’t get on with it, I couldn’t when I changed my 900ss , it’s easy to change back. That’s the theory.

As I do a fair bit of urban riding , and these godforsaken 20mph zones are bloody impossible on standard gearing. Although I do love the standard gearing out in the road except 6th above 8500 rpm.

14. Not sure about ‘far far more educated’, I did go to school and technical college but that was it. Urban riding, especially 20mph zones are the bane of most Ducati riders lives. With a 14 tooth front sprocket, 20mph is relatively comfortable in 2nd gear on my Multistrada. Andy

15. I left school at 16 with an o level in French only. Grade U maths CSE, I’m famous for that!

16. I failed french, much to everyone's surprise. Our class french teacher fancied me. Scary, really scary. Andy

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. I am half French and French speaking

18. But we did all want to know whether a scary teacher fancied you?

19. Having worked in France, with French speaking colleagues, my French used to be passable, no thanks to my French teacher from all those years ago. Now in retirement, I don’t get much opportunity to practice so what I knew, I know no more. And after nearly two years stuck in the UK, my Spanish and Catalan alas is diminishing rapidly too. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information