1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is This Sprocket Still In Ok Condition?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by michel couque, May 11, 2021.

1. However you still got an O level.....;)

2. So will replace the C&S kit, Afam probably a bit dear for me now, DID was ok ish, but nothing great, shagged after 12000 miles, anyone used RK chain before, or other good alternatives to Afam?

3. I have an RK waiting in the wings for an imminent chain change. Research and a ‘trade’ recommendation swayed my choice. Andy

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. DID or RK was the general recommendation when I last worked in the trade (2018).

The outlier brands that are intriguing but probably have very mixed reviews are Regina, Tsubaki and CZ.

I've used Regina timing chains and they've been excellent but that's in a very different working environment.

5. Hi All.

Now that we’ve decided to replace the the C&S kit I’m a bit confused. I am not sure what make of rear sprocket is on. Could be Afam? Looks like standard carrier? Basically I don’t know which rear sprocket I need, as many seem to need a different carrier, is anyone able to tell from my photos at the start of the thread what I might have, then I know what to get.

Never used to be this complicated.

Best

M

6. Why would it be anything other than the OE ? Your pictures show no sign of the carrier being removed. If you want quick release, then you will need the corresponding quick release carrier. If you don’t want quick release, buy a straight replacement ..... in steel. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. OEM will be cheaper too. Carrier plus sprocket probably set you back 150 quid which isn't the end of the world, but compared to 25-30 quid is a big difference.

8. Thanks for the info, but I am struggling to understand which sprocket I can order as a straight replacement while retaining what’s on now, is it only OE? Having spoken to one supplier today JT and Renthal sprockets need a separate carrier.

I know I’m sounding a bit thick, I can’t deny it!!

9. those will need carriers, but if you give Ducati a ring they'll supply an OEM one or you can get one from elsewhere (Still OEM).

10. AFAM do a direct OE replacement rear sprocket, using your existing sprocket carrier, which is likely to be better quality than the unbranded replacement from Ducati. Andy

11. Thanks Andy. I do suspect that’s what’s on there now, fantastic quality but is very very expensive, know of any more accessibly priced ones… I think I’m outstaying my welcome here now

12. Have you given Biketorque racing a call? They do various chains, you also might be able to get your favourite Afam set up at a discount/decent price from them.

Is yours a DVT or pre DVT?

13. Hi

Thanks for the tip, will get phoning around today, enough surfing.

it’s pre DVT but it appears to be same C&S for all from 2010-2017.

14. So update.

I called Biketorque yesterday and had a good chat with a nice young chap called Darren who just started there a week ago. Very helpful and we come up with best Afam chain for £114 against DID at £140, so a no brainer, Afam it is as it lasts twice as long as DID. And also on Fleabay came across a rear Afam sprocket unused but wrapping torn a bit, same part as I curreuhave in for £69.00 as opposed to £130 normally. So all in all a good day and thanks for the suggestion. I had already looked at their website, but it was not bringing up much bike specific, so the phone call sorted it.

41840FB6-44FC-4353-B48D-DC9B3A3BA931.png

• Like Like x 2
  15. So you just need a Renthal 14t front and you’re away. Cool.

16. Result!

17. I thought long and hard about changing the gearing, but opted for standard as although we complain about pre DVT being temperamental at low speed urban etc, at the end of the day I do love the characteristics which is a major reason I bought the bike and kept it so long,warts and all.

18. You would be pleasantly surprised at how much difference dropping just 1 tooth on the front makes to how 3000rpm feels. No loss of character at all, just better. Andy

19. I haven’t got the front sprocket yet, I am concerned about more strain being placed on the gearbox shaft? Heard a few say better to change gearing via rear sprocket??

20. Nearly 40,000 miles on my Multistrada with a 14 tooth front sprocket and never heard that argument before. What do you do when you can’t buy a bigger rear sprocket like for the Diavel ? I can tell you, you drop a tooth on the front. Over 30,000 miles on that. Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information