1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 It Lasted 3 Years And A Week

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Bigyin, Aug 31, 2018.

1. I just checked the form. That will not affect your no claims bonus. It’s the council’s way of a) dissuading those who do not have insurance/tax/mot from making a claim in the first place and b) a way for them to mitigate their loss if the tyre/exhaust was old/bald/worn out/blown/rusted through.

There’s a fair amount of superfluous info asked for on the claim form; an attempt to dissuade spurious and/or small value claimants.

As you will not be making a claim against your insurer they cannot treat it as a claim and reduce your NCB. However, if you read the small print of your insurance policy, as you have suffered damage to your bike and possibly PI, you will most likely have to inform your insurer you are making a claim against a 3rd party for negligence. It’s so they are aware of the situation should the third party, ie Leeds Council, make a counterclaim against you and by default therefore your insurer.

Provided the pothole had been previously reported to the council and they had failed to repair it in a timely fashion commensurate with its possible danger then they are liable for negligence and will pay out. Although expect a lengthy discussion on the amount they pay out.

Hope this helps.
    Paul.
    ps you’d never know I used to be a barrister would you? ;) EDIT. Still am, just don't practice anymore (other than pro-bono occasionally)

#41 West Cork Paul, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Glad you came out of it ok(ish) @Bigyin

The good ones are those that you can walk (limp) away from!

I can't say I'm surprised though, the roads around North Yorkshire are a mix of potholes and lose chippings. It's making my weekend blasts less and less enjoyable.

I hope you can get things sorted as quickly as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Glad you are here to still tell us about it and I am truly sorry about your Multistrada.
    Liking the pics of the bike and being an eternal optimist I am minded to quote python. “Tis but a scratch. A mere flesh wound”

So glad you are in one piece and will ride again.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Glad you're relatively ok.....way better than the possibilities in the circumstances!

I've had a couple of bad moments over road defects just like you show.....sooner or later, if not already, people are going to get killed....hope you can give the Highways Agency a good kicking!

Great to have a community like this where there's good advice and support.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. I made my insurance ware from day one but have no worries because .......

Exactly that, my NCD is protected ;)

Thanks for the advice...... its an unreported defect as far as i can see from researching various sources ....however...... its a repair to some previous works which, in my opinion, has not been completed correctly hence the sunken areas of the repaired strip that took my wheel out and caused the accident, so my approach will be that they were negligent in the repair process and claim off that basis.

I assume that my insurer will also be looking to claim any losses they incur back from Highways England in the long run as well which may help push things along

6. Bigyin, sorry to read this mate, but glad you are ok and appear to be in good spirits.

Hope you get it sorted, and get a replacement bike in a sensible amount of time.

All the very best.

• Like Like x 1
  7. You’ve 2 choices, you either claim off your insurance, assuming you’ve fully comp and ppe cover, they’ll probably counter-claim off Highways or the council. Or you claim directly from the local council who’s responsible for the road and its upkeep. If it were me, and I’m fully comp with NCB protection and got my kit covered I’d claim off my insurer as youll probably get paid out much quicker.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. The process already in motion is to claim off the bike insurer as the NCD is covered as i have just discussed this with them by phone and they will go after Highways England (they are responsible for the road, not the local council) along with my claim to recover their losses. I am claiming off Highways for everything else....loss of excess, kit, injury, damage to other property incurred as clothing and camping kit was also damaged etc etc.

My riding kit wasnt covered (doh....must have removed it at some point as i know it used to be) but i have sufficient older kit to allow me to still ride until i can buy new stuff. I just want the bike to be dealt with so i can get another as soon as i can. And my missus said there was no point in keeping the old textiles and helmet when i got the newer stuff ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I really feel for you, such a shit thing to happen.
    Our roads are a disgrace.
    I remember years ago being proud of our roads, riding into Italy always blew me away, potholes everywhere, we are now in the same state.
    We have to put up with bad repairs and poor surfaces.
    I hope you sue the arse off them and wish you well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Yep. We had increased premiums after some pissed up bloke left the pub up the road, reversed into our car and left. Luckily we had a witness testify and he’d got the reg. We were at home in bed and yet for some reason our premiums went up

11. It’s sn absolute scandal. A few years ago my Mrs brushed against a skip on our drive, perfectly understandable as it had been there for three weeks......

Anyway, before I had chance to talk to her, she’d rung the insurance company and reported it.

The damage was minimal and not worth claiming so I got her to withdraw the claim.

Guess what? The following year the premium increased because of a reported incident.

12. :joy:

13. Been out today to have a look for CCTV cameras on the slip road that i may have missed before and noticed a shit load of cones placed up the slip and at the junction. Got home and checked the Highways England site to find this among the list of planned roadworks that wasnt there last week

A47 eastbound access from A11
    Location : The A47 eastbound entry slip from the A11 . Schedule : Expect disruption everyday between 21:00 and 06:00 from 5 September 2018 to 7 September 2018.

I guess someone had a look after my accident report and thought they had better fix it ..... hopefully that will work in my favour that it was deemed so urgent to remedy

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. You insure your skips?

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Glad you're here to share this tale. Good luck with your recovery and your next Ducati.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Glad you're OK - Hope it's dealt with swiftly

• Like Like x 1
  17. After refusing the initial offer from insurance and getting passed up the chain of "supervisors" i eventually got to someone allowed to haggle instead of following the script.

After a bit of back and forth we agree on a figure i think is reasonable for a 36000 mile bike, is quite a bit above their offer and allows me to move forward to getting a replacement

I wonder what it will be ? .............. :p

• Like Like x 1
  18. Scrambler

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Great that you didn't suffer any serious injury and your riding kit did it's job. Hope you find another exciting Multistrada :)

Our roads are a disgrace and it's a real concern for our safety. I now do most of my miles in Europe where the roads tend to be quality surfaces, lightly used and great for enjoyable motorcycling. Maybe one day....

Keep us posted how the claim progresses.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information