1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Italian Speeding Fines

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Topbox, Dec 13, 2018.

1. A multistrada I think

• Funny Funny x 4
  2. they have come this far so they know you and your details.... you know when you next go to italy and they check your passport on the way in....outstanding fines!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. start a gofundme

4. Steady on old boy.

I can only fit on sofas these days.

TB

• Like Like x 1
  5. Italian hotels always need to see a passport. I believe these are always notified to the police.

TB

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. The only one

7. Don't pay it, I got two fines in Rome back in 08 which I never paid. €280 if I remember correctly.
    Been back several times since. I based my decision not to pay on the quality and perseverance of the Italian administrators

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Maybe, maybe not. At the risk of creating a storm I was Remain at the time of the referendum but am now Leave. Stop! We’re going off thread here. :)

• Like Like x 3
  9. Don’t pay it. I’ve picked up a couple over in Ireland and was advised by my then guard brother-in- law to not bother. International law and red tape make it financially restrictive to pursue.
    Cameras on the Dublin ring road on the other hand are a different matter.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Had one a few years back, I ignored the first letter then they sent a 2nd letter recorded delivery which I refused, near heard a thing since. I was back in Italy a couple of years ago and I did panic a bit when entering the country but nothing. Let then try and chase you.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. I'd pay it personally. €100 is a reasonable fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Thats crazy @andyb ; passport staff don't give a damn about speeding fines and have no way to see anyhow. Whens the last time someone got picked up at Dover for an outstanding speeding fine? The UK is vaguely organised and doesn't have the ability, Italy is more interested in wine (and speed!).

They know your details because they share the car registration database across the EU.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. i think you are obviously naive to the proceedings..not speeding fines... any outstanding matters once circulated pop up against your details when you enter a country.

you want to hire a car
    you produce licence, passport and a credit card.
    you commit an offence of whatever associated with the car
    they raise their equivalent of a name the driver/summons
    they request the details from the registered keeper of the car
    the hire company give everything they know about you
    outstanding fines are assigned against your details
    they can see that you left the country next time you return the issue is raised
    also
    i have known the outstanding fine to just be debited from the credit card

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. On a european tour I normally factor in a couple of speed fines.If I don't get any then more money for me. If I get a fine, I pay the fine.

When I get the replacement for the fugly in the spring, I'm going to copy dukes plate and put it on the bike before my next euro travel :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. I bet dookie won't be happy if you do this.

Ask me how I know; go on!

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Well being the pillar of society that I am, and also being weak of will and a crap poker player, I've taken the view that as a percentage of the cost of the whole holiday its pretty small so I've caved and paid the fucker.

But being a progressive kinda guy I've learnt my lesson:- don't sign for international letters (it cant be good news ever), look out for shoe boxes on top on skinny poles in Italy, and finally do what Noobs said.

TB

• Like Like x 1
  17. It's such a small amount that I would've paid just for the anti-stress factor alone. I count on going to many a european country in the next years, and do not want to even think about having some explaining to do. Especially because I know it would not be when I go on a bike with friends, but probably with the kids and wife, or work. Don't need that. I got a fine from France and just laughed about it and paid it, was 45e. Here in Finland I just got the minimum fine for going over 7km/h at 4 am with no trafic => 140e.

• Like Like x 1
  18. For what its worth the french/Italian police have more holiday photos of me than I have, I've never paid any of them and I'm back in the alps for a snowboarding holiday at Christmas driving there from Dublin, never had a single issue when I got stopped by the carbineri at any border and I use the Mont blanc tunnel at least 4 times a year , i dont know whether they have better cooperation in the UK than here ! regards jay

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Who do you actually know who has had a fine charged to their credit card for an automatic camera speeding fine? no one has had this; it's been a well oiled mechanism for many years and the hire car firm is not responsible for it. They just charge you ~£35 for passing on your details.

Its the same for cross border shenanigans, it's not murder and it's not proven so why would they take the time to do it?
    'Sir you have outstanding automatic camera speeding fines on your record, please pull to the side so we can anally probe you'
    ' but it wasn't me driving, it was my mate/Gran/Mum/neighbors cat'
    'we reckon it was you even though there's no proof, bend over'

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/what-is-the-eu-cross-border-enforcement-directive/

20. me...albeit in Spain.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information