1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Italian Speeding Fines

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Topbox, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Not the point I was getting to.

Different search engines provide differently weighted results for many, many things. For instance Google may supply you with the RAC page at the top their list, another engine *may* suggest something different as first choice. The RAC pages will be identical, in either case, as you rightly point out.

Or do you believe that all search providers are all equally apolitical?

I feel certain this is not a conversation that will interest you, though. We move on.

2. I did look at the RAC advice. I believe that most of the French advice is safely ignored! I particular like the regulation that demand that you carry a spare set of bulbs. On both my car and bikes, this is most certainly not a roadside repair. In the dark it is impossible. My guess is that most French will either ignore the rule or carry the spare set - but if a bulb blows then they won't bother try to change the bulb themselves. I think that this may connect to our disgust with the EU. Whilst other countries just ignore rules that they don't like, the British, being very British, slavishly follow the rules!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Here we go again. What regulation would that be then? Can you show me a French government text that states that a spare set of bulbs must be carried? Save you the trouble of looking, there is not one. There might be such a regulation in the minds of ferry companies who sell bulb kits.
    The rule in France is exactly the same as the UK, you must not drive a vehicle with a defective light. That is very different to carrying a spare bulb kit.
    I'll admit that motorists in both countries ignore that rule, even the Brits, I used to when I lived in the UK. The British follow the rules do they? Look at the number of cars who used to drive around with parking lights on instead of dip beam. The highway code states that in times of reduced visibility dipped headlights must be used.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. From the RAC website:
    upload_2018-12-15_13-27-38.png
    https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/country/france/

Are they wrong?

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. I was referring to Governments following rules in the EU comment - not motorists.

6. No idea, but the RAC do not make French law nor do they enforce it. I take it that you have not found a French government document to back up what the RAC are saying?
    When you visit, do you have a euro plate with the small blue GB or the GB sticker on your vehicle?

7. I have not bothered look because I don't speak french. I would think it reasonable to believe what the RAC say without specific reason to believe otherwise.

8. Actually, to be fair, on further searching there are some who say it is not law. They make the argument (as I would) that it is beyond most people without good light and tools to be able to change bulbs at the roadside. It seems to be more of an assumption that people make because you should not drive with defective lights - as here. But since most people cannot do this then, yes, it is more of an exercise to get you to buy bulbs. The previous owner of my ST3 presented me with a complete set of bulbs that he had bought for a trip to France. Soon after I bought the bike, the headlight bulb blew. A job that you can never do without a workshop full of tools!

9. With the introduction of LED lighting for bikes and cars this becomes impractical anyway.

Ideally they shouldn't fail as regularly as tungsten bulbs anyway.

10. I'd struggle roadside and it would be potentially dangerous too : I had to remove a wheel to access the headlight to change a bulb today and it was a right pain in the arse - finished just before the rain set in too!?!

bloody faff! 20181215_150729.jpg

I always carry spares in the car, but not on the bike but then I rarely ride it at night

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I once got pulled off the autoroute at the toll booth by no less than 4 Gendarmes. They asked me to accompany them to their office whereupon they informed me I had been caught doing 178Kmh. The sergeant was most put out because if I had been doing 180Kmh he informed he he could have confiscated my car. I asked him where the speed trap was and he told me his colleague had been lying in a sniper's position in the back of a clapped out old Peugeot on the hard shoulder with the boot open and the back seats down. As soon as he said it I remembered passing it. A knackered old car with a big lumpy blanket in the back. The bastards! Anyway, he told me, whilst his 3 mates were in the office, that if I paid a fine of €150 there and then, in cash, they'd let me go. I bet that didn't end up in the Revenues coffers! I paid, because my wife and child had been asleep in the car at the time of the infringement and woke up to be surrounded by Gendarmes as we were moved off the road. Plus, I was lucky. I had been doing 238kmh just before I got zapped ! :eek: I wanted to see what happened when you hit the speed limiter of 240kmh on the car. Thankfully there was an old knackered Peugeot on the side of the road and traffic was slowing downs they passed it!. I never got to find out what happens when you hit the speed limiter:(.

Moral of the tale. Just accept the speed limiter works and feels like the rev limiter.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. I think that I'll stick with the method that has always served me well in France. That is to just go and enjoy it. I keep the speed down in built up areas whilst go at whatever speed that I judge safe in the country, Don't bother with any extra insurance or carry spare parts.

Germany always amuses me because the Germans are, in general, very obedient to traffic laws, but they have the Nurburgring and no speed limit autobahns. I'll always remember getting pissed off with somebody in our group because we were dwardling along in lane 1 being overtaken by everything. I looked down at the speedo and realised that we were doing a steady 160 kph!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Not many bikes with LED headlight bulbs yet!
    I can change the halogen headlight bulbs in my 939 Supersport in seconds without removing anything. The wifes Monster 821 would need a full workshop.

14. Well, both my current and previous bikes were/are LED throughout, my current car also with the exception of the front fog lights. It's already here and coming for all of us.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Like I said, not many then.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Some garages now ask what car it is before quoting for a bulb because of the point you make. On some models it can be 2-3 hours.

TB

17. Anyone know what the breakdown people do if you ring up and say that you've got a defective light? I', guessing that it doesn't happen as most people will continue their journey rather than hang around. If it happened on a bike where it's your only light then I guess they just transport you if you have cover. If you don't have get you home cover then I guess that you are a bit bollocked. Never really thought about it before.

18. Yes its a problem on bike, On my Kawasaki you've got to take the whole front off the bike to change a bulb, thats why I've started changing them every winter as preventative maintenance. However, if dip does blow then I'd be using main, and take the flak from on coming drivers, until I get where I'm going.

TB

Do Not Sell My Personal Information