It's Going! (or Maybe Not...)

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by jimmer, Mar 16, 2016.

1. From my experience (M900 & ST4) yellow topped relays - probably your starter relay - go bad and get temperamental, on my Monster I sometimes had to turn the key 2 or three times before the dash lights came on (removing the seat sometimes helped too?)

2. Cheers for the pointers guys, will have a look. Lights all come on with a turn of the key, just not turning over on the button.

3. Starter solenoid should be fine then :upyeah: rules that one out

• Like Like x 1
  4. The starter solenoid is on a different circuit from the lights and auxiliaries. Im not 100 sure on a 600, but I would imagine its underneath the airbox on the right hand side like my 900. They do wear out and the symptoms you describe, that would be my first port of call. Do you hear a click everytime you press the button? Thats the solenoid switch. Next time you try to start it and it doesnt, bridge the two large poles on the starter solenoid with a screwdriver, if the motor turns over, its that switch. If you say its regularly not starting then a simple test like this will tell you for sure if its that.

#84 Desmoquattro, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ignition solenoid I should have said

6. It was always the top fuse on my 750ss.
    Making sure it was completely flat is what finally cured it.

7. Just picked this thread up and i'm so glad I did.

I have EXACTLY the same issues with my 900SS, not running in horizontal cylinder, popping banging and farting like a trooper.

Carbs have been meticulously taken apart cleaned and rebuilt, jets, gaskets, needles and emulsion tubes replaced, coils, leads, plugs, and ignitor boxes replaced with an ignitech unit, the only thing i haven't done is swapped the pick up coil wires for front cylinder over, bearing in mind these were replaced too.

Ill give this a go this weekend. here's hoping!

#87 Phartycr0c, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
  8. If theres an important lesson I have learned with my SS, ignition problems can appear to be carb problems, and vice versa!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Glad to provide some inspiration / assistance. Persistence is key and once you do get the bike running half decent it seems to be the case that they improve with a few miles of running.

One issue I had after I’d rebuilt the carbs first time around was that I hadn’t synced them on the bench so when I fitted them to the bike the running was pretty poor and often just on one cylinder.

Good luck with the project!

• Like Like x 1