1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's Home......

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Wayne58, Jun 16, 2018.

1. I'm a rug munching lezzer till Monday. Have done over 600 now, and it gets serviced Monday. ;)

#121 Wayne58, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Not what I expected to ride away from 1st service, but my thanks go to Premier Bikes for giving me anything at all. Slightly warped Galfer Wave Brake disc, so they replaced the pair, still the same, so looks like its either the wheel face, or just bad luck with discs. They gonna have it sorted in time for Wednesday latest though......:(

IMAG0355.jpg

3. Should have bought a Ducati ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. He did.. hence the change ..

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  5. I know Tel, cause they never, ever go wrong eh..... :thinkingface::D

PS. Not KTM brake discs either, bloody optional Galfer !! :(

6. Is that an 1190 or a 1290 Adv? What do you think of it?

Edit. Didn't look properly. Can see now its a 1090. Go and find a dirt track. That's what those are for.

7. I just had to look as I also didn't know, its a 2018 1090 something or other, and no mate, not really a fan, it's not on my short list of bikes to own if I'm honest...

8. That’s frustrating. I know there was an issue with warped disks on the 2014 bike, and I’ve heard other reports the wavy discs causing problems.

I have a slight rub when walking the bike, but nothing worse than my Ducati, Aprilia or Triumph.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I'm not that gutted to be honest, every new bikes always has a little something at one time or another. They're going to fit another wheel tomorrow to illuminate that and are ordering another pair of discs from Galfer. Fingers crossed. :worried:

10. Did you have the Galfer discs fitted as an optional extra or are they standard?

11. An option, but fitted by ktm, with ktm branding on them, hence why they have no issues under warranty.

12. I expect they only agreed to swap them because they were optional extras. KTMs are notorious for rubbing discs (as to be fair are a number of other manufacturers including Ducati and Aprilia) and on standard bikes they've pretty much given up replacing them under warranty, unless there is severe vibration or pulsing under braking, because they know the new ones will be just as bad. On the standard brake set-up it seems the fault is not with the discs but with the accuracy of the machining on the hubs so that the discs are not running perpendicular to the spindle axis.
    Some people have had their wheels trued, others have fitted aftermarket carbon wheels and reported the problem solved.

That's not to say there haven't been warping problems with wavy discs because there certainly have, but generally it seems brake groan is just a fact of life for the time being on a lot of current bikes.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. If it was the brakes groaning mate, I wouldn't mind but it's an extremely violent vibration from speed and a pulsing at lower speeds. Definitely something you couldn't live with. But they say they are going to sort it, so not overly worried.

14. It's these gen 2's mate, my gen 1 pulses the discs a little at point of slowing to a halt but I guess its just a more manly version so it doesn't complain.

They've not given you the girls version have they? God I hope not, I heard they'd burned all of those at the stake so they didn't get out in the wild o_O

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. It would be good to see if the wheel disc combo change cures it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. After 3 new sets of discs plus the ones it came with, and a week in the shop, the bike is now perfect. The wheel was true, it was just a bad batch of Galfer discs, and they are now on back order, so clearly an issue there. As for the bike, all run in now, and dear Lord the thing is addictive, an absolute joy to ride with a weapon of a motor. It's a keeper, that much is certain. :D:upyeah:

• Like Like x 3
  17. Was back on the bike this weekend following >2k miles around Europe. I didn’t notice it on the trip but getting back on the bike for the first time since going away has made me realise the gearbox is well and truly bedded in. The ratios now seem even closer and it slips from 1st to 2nd and onwards like butter. Now pushing from 1st through to 6th almost feels like one continuous gear, other then the twitch coming from my left boot (and my sphincter!).

Bike is now at >8k miles.

• Love You Love You x 1
  18. For the first time today Jim, I took water, MucOff and ACF 50 to it. Got all the crap off around the sidestand and lower frame where the factory use shit chain lube that sprays all over the place. Put suspension back to all stock settings to give a blank canvass and re-torqued all the triple clamp bolts as one of the bolts was a little loose. Is now absolutely immaculate, with 963 miles on it.... Bikes never quite your own till you've cleaned it.....:D:upyeah:

IMAG0421 - Copy.jpg IMAG0425.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. PS. No taking the piss out the tyres, I'm still getting used to it and it'll go on its ear when I'm good and ready................ GOT IT !!:mad:

:p

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information