1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's Italian And Ends In Ti

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Crossbreed Cycles, Aug 29, 2014.

1. could they be jointed and bolted say a dovetail or summit.nice countersunk heads?

2. I was trying to get in before you crashed it... :rolleyes:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. I've changed the front mounts, there will now be a small subframe each side that the frame will bolt to....no need to remove heads

Bit more progress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  4. cool cool. looking forward to seeing this one fire up.
    dot forget he video of first start up. nice one :upyeah:

5. I'm still not sure whether I'd like the outcome, but the amount of engineering and workmanship in this is impressive to say te least! Awesome!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. The big issue now is that once you've sorted the rolling chassis, you have to clothe it. And it's important, I'd hate to see all that effort go to waste under an ill-fitting suit. I'm not even going to offer an opinion, I'm too short-sighted in my tastes.

7. I understand your concerns, I'm not sure myself. Until it rolls, I will not know if its alright.

Opinions are always welcome.
    I'm of the opinion it should have minimum clothing to emphasize the engine.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. This is fantastic, thanks for sharing! I'm about to start a Pierobon build myself, but this is another league!

If you don't mind me asking, did you scan the engine surfaces to get them into CAD? It would have taken a fair while to model them in I'm guessing. Are you using Solidworks?

Castings look great by the way, handy to have a foundry that will do one offs like that.

thanks again :)

9. Thanks.
    I have spent a silly amount of time on the CAD modelling, I use Solid Edge that is similar to Solid Works.

If you are interested in doing 3D-CAD, I recommend the site: CAD collaboration solution that accelerates product development - GrabCAD there are a lot of Ducati parts you can download, like frames, engines and running gear, it's a great resource if you want to build a special.....it's really worth taking a look at some of the amazing 3D Ducati on the site.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Thanks, that's a very useful site. I'll certainly use the 1100ds engine for some projects.

I'm using ProEngineer/Creo which is arguably better than Solidworks for surface modelling (tanks/fairings) but regardless of the program we use as you say there is a ton of time taken up getting things right in CAD. It certainly helps to avoid costly mistakes though so I guess it is time well spent. I'm also using it to lay out suspension geometry and clearances at full bump/droop, and switching between CAD and the Tony Foale software to play around with wheel rates, linkages and so on. Lucky we dont have to package all the extra crap the OE's have to allow for.

Also just about to get a 3 printer (ABS filament) so will be using that for some casting patterns, should be interesting!

• Like Like x 1
  11. how do, what engine are you using? i am currently trying to source a t.belt for an older 2.5 alfa v6 with no success. which i am told by the owner is a Maserati engine?

12. I think SolidEdge is fairly good for surfaces but it's not a feature I use much, my mate swears by Catia for surfacing. SolidWorks is user friendly and is great for converting other 3D software models, it's got me out of trouble a few times when SolidEdge doesn't convert properly.
    I'd love to get my hands on a 3D printer, I want to make a set of single cases that runs a twin crank like a supermono.

13. Mine is a 90 degree V6 2.7 Maserati Quadcam with chain drive, the Alfa is very different: 60 degree V6 belt drive twin cam (older models) or quad cam (later). It should not be hard to get a belt, I built a 2.5 Alfa and used a different length belt to get more wrap around the cams because they are known for slipping on start-up, I cross referenced a Gates catalogue and used a Toyata diesel truck belt.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. cool cool, thats what i thought. it didn't sound right. done plenty alfa v6 belts never 2.5. thanks for the info will pass it on.

15. haven't used them myself. normally GGB or solo italia. one of my customers supplies his own parts from them, he tells there v.good. cheers will give them a bell ta. :smile:

16. Cobble a couple together wiv glue - luckily unlike some Ebay sellers, there's 2 with every delivery ;)

17. i can get a batch made up but unfortunately i have to buy a minimum of 300.

18. Not sure the cable ties will work.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information