1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've Convinced The Girlfriend A Ducati Is A Good Idea!

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Ramsden15, May 8, 2018.

1. Hi Guys, I've never owned a Ducati, had Aprilia's, Honda's and a Kawasaki previously but currently bikeless. My girlfriend is opening a trendy coffee shop and she wants to put a motorbike on display, amongst other thing. So I've convinced her a Ducati sports bike (or cafe racer) is what she needs, perhaps at this point I should mention if I get it soon I can ride it until her place opens in July. You see what I've done here;)

The only criteria I have is it can not lose value over the next 5 years, ideally go up in value and not cost the earth now. So I'm looking at an older bike.

I'm no expert on Ducati's so any advice would be great. I've been looking at a 916 and a 748SPS which is an import so far.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Does such a thing exist? :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Ah, unicorn poo... Good luck!

4. Don’t put motorbikes in coffee shops fucking hipsters...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. That's a new one, I've never been called a hipster before:neutral:

6. Ignore the camel bloke. Hipsters are cool too if they ride bikes. And welcome Dave :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ride em! Not put them in coffee shops and charge £3 for a coffee!

8. Good work fella! If it is bought through the business you will be able to 'depreciate' it annually in any case then buy it from the business at the depreciated price. 748/916 aren't nearly hipster enough though, you'll need something like a Sport Classic or GT1000 if you are going to shove it in the window!
    I'm currently trying to convince my girlfriend that a girlfriend is a good idea!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  9. what?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Gonna need a lot more detail on this, fella.

A LOT more.

• Like Like x 2
  11. There are three hypothetical discussions:
    1.) I'm trying to convince her that a girlfriend as well as her is a good idea, for me. ie two girlfriends.
    2.) I'm trying to convince her that a girlfriend, her, is a good idea, for me. ie that no girlfriend at all would be better.
    3.) I'm trying to convince her that a girlfriend would be a good idea, for her. ie with me just checking up on them every now and again!
    I wonder how I will get on with any of these?

You can see I have already given this some considerable thought!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  12. When you find one let me know and I will get one
    As my old grandad used to say if it's got wheels or tits sooner or later it will cost you money

13. They all sound like bad ideas to me, especially #1.

14. That’s my plan tbh.
    The bikes not going in the window and could get away with a sports bike (mainly because that’s what I want). Although I’ve been looking at some cafe races too. I’ve only really bought new or nearly new bikes to ride and enjoy before but in this case I want to try and find a bike that won’t depreciate or ideally maybe go up in value. I was thinking any low mileage 916 would at least hold its value and any special of the same family, hence the 748sps. Do you think I’m on the right track.
    The cafe racers I’ve looked at have been to a specific individual taste so not sure they will hold there intrinsic value compared to a mainstream bike.
    Just mulling over the options at the minute so any suggestions welcome.

15. Welcome on board. if it were some sort of display bike, maybe an air cooled would be a reasonably priced starting point with low depreciation. e.g. M600/750/900 or 600/750/900ss - here is a tidy looking 900ss (I have no affiliation nor can I vouch for it, but a nice looking bike it seems). easier maintenance comes in to play here, too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-900ss-1995/232751396011?hash=item36311074ab:g:FtYAAOSwdQda5r9W

obviously your budget would also dictate what can be bought. air cooled seem to go cheap enough and will have probably bottomed out by now. liquid cooled may still yet go up or down, but will usually be at a higher price to purchase. unless you get a special edition "R", "FE", "SPS" then you will get a reasonable amount of bike for under £10k.

Pete

16. Start with a budget (and tell us what that is) :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Welcome. Make sure its Allpress Redchurch blend and I'll gladly drink your coffee whilst admiring your new bike.

18. A 749 should fit the bill and still available for circa £3k , almost certain not to go down in value at that level. Stunning looking IMO and great to ride.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information