1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just About To Buy An Xdiavel, A Few Q's...

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by Bufort, Jun 23, 2019.

1. The rear brake is utterly useless. Bleed your heart out.

The TFT display - I found no issue with it. Buy a screen saver for yourself and see. 2 for a tenner approximately.

I hope you checked the drive belt carefully ;-).

2. Ive since found out its the same dash on on the base and the S XDiavel. I've already bought the base model now, and found that the brake issue is caused by the caliper/bleed nipple orientation, and the proximity to the exhaust. SO it seems it is a problem that can be resolved.

3. My last Buell 1125CR didn't have these issues. Thinking about it though, that may have been LCD rather than TFT. (it was B&W)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hi Bufort...
    I was lucky enough to be able to buy an XDiavel S, last July. It is a stunning bike. I'd done a fair amount of reading and online research into the machine prior to test riding. The overriding comments were two-fold:
    1: Reviewers found the suspension a little hard on the initial 2016 release models, but this has subsequently been sorted.
    2: The rear brake! The bike is fitted with phenomenal brakes, but there seems to be an ongoing issue with the rear brake. I first became aware of this via a US YouTube rider (The Speed BUG) who's been having issues with his rear brake becoming almost useless, as more and more travel came to the rear brake pedal. I've read and watched several other riders who've discovered the same issue. Bleeding the brake seems to solve the problem for a short period, but it just comes back.
    I've had the rear brake bled twice on mine by the showroom I bought it from. It's got the highest spec fluid now within the system, but still, after a short period of time, the travel comes back and I need to pump the brake to get any real efficacy out of it.
    There are two theories out there right now...
    1: The routing of the cable from the master cylinder behind the pedal directs the cable so close to the engine that the fluid boils and creates air bubbles. Hence the excessive travel in the pedal. Therefore this is a Ducati problem, but not one they seem to want to own up to (apparently this is an issue not just on the XDiavel but other non-related models).
    Or 2: (again this is from The Speed Bug, and only just seen this on YouTube), that there may be an issue with the slave cylinder, making it a Brembo issue. I won't even begin to try and give the info that he does and recommend that you catch the video ()
    Either way, currently, there doesn't seem to be an easy answer.
    For my part, I've had the rear brake bled twice (kindly done under warranty by my dealer, although it's not technically regarded as a warranty issue) and it'll be bled again when the bike is serviced shortly.
    I wish I had more info for you, but my best recommendation is to get on YouTube and the Web, and research the neck out of it!
    As for the TFT, I think this is just one of those issues with new displays. The standard and S models is the same display. Personally I can only think of the one or two occasions in the 4200 miles I've ridden so far that it's been an issue.
    If you're buying second hand, I'd only recommend going 2018 or later, as they'd sorted little things like the suspension out by then.
    But, I've gotta say I LOVE my bike DSC_2294.JPG
    Hope this is of some help. Good luck.
    Woodie

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yeh I've come to the same conclusions about the brake. I'll just bleed it well, look into shielding it from the heat and take it from there. Alternatively if its the brake itself, which I doubt as I don't think that would affect it getting softer over time (it would happen straight away), then I'd just buy a different brake.

I didn't want to spend the money people are asking for the 2018 model, so I've bought a 2016.

6. I hope you love it as much as I love mine Safe riding

• Like Like x 1
  7. This was normal, but there's now a fix. Ducati has issued new brake lines, which your dealer should replace for free as a product recall. It's a hassle for the dealer, so you may need to be insistent. However, Ducati should provide the new brake lines (at no cost to you or the dealer) and fully reimburse the dealer for the work.

:bucktooth: The Technical Service Bulletin is SRV-TSB-19-012.

See this thread on the Xdiavel forum:
    https://www.diavel-forum.com/index.php?/topic/90791-rear-brake-issue-need-new-brake-lines/ :motorcycleduc:

It's certainly taken Ducati a while to solve the issue!

#27 Freerange_egg, Mar 10, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Yes I've had an XD for 8 months now, but my rear brake is fine. It was bled properly with SRF and also has a Termignoni exhaust which apparently helps with removing heat from the brake line. No issues with my bike's 4000 miles I've done in this time, so I won't be risking extra problems by taking it to Ducati.

9. More shite and facetiousness than here? And I thought that we were doing well :confounded:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. That's interesting - any idea how it helps?

What a good excuse to save up for that Termi :)

11. Well as far as I'm aware, based on all the other info I've read about this since I started this thread, the problem is with the heat from the exhaust boiling the brake fluid. The SRF fluid has a higher boiling point, and the Termignoni's design reduces the heat where it passes the rear brake line.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. I’m curious as to exactly how close the brake line is to the exhaust that it causes the brake fluid to boil. Brand new DOT 4 brake fluid, the type probably used as standard by Ducati has a boiling temp of 270c. Bearing in mind the heat has to pass through the brake line to heat the fluid, and I don’t know if the lines are steel braided or not, the temperature of the line itself must be extraordinarily high. High enough to suffer a visible degradation I would have thought. Do you have pictures please? TIA

13. Well, I haven't actually stuck a thermometer inside it; it's just what I've read countless times. And as I don't have the standard exhaust, I can't get a photo of how close it is to the brake line i'm afraid.

14. I was just curious, I’ve read and heard loads of stories about the inefficiency of the Diavel’s rear brake and many seem to blame boiling brake fluid yet from a scientific perspective this seems just impossible without obvious external signs.

15. Well it can be the design and orientation of the caliper, and the routing of the brake line making it harder to bleed, causing more air getting trapped, which alone would cause a spongey brake from the start, but also the brake fluid's ability to absorb moisture from air and then the water boiling at just 100C, rather than the fluid boiling at 270C.

Anyway, all I can say is that my brake is working perfectly with these two things changed, so basically the re-routing of the brake line (which is what I think is the warranty fix) is not the only way of fixing it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Added to which, on my Diavel 1260S the position of the rear brake pedal needed you to have the suppleness of a prima ballerina in your ankle/foot to be able to work it.

That said I never use the rear brake :)

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information