1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Just Bought A 996 Pics And Questions!

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by drumm23, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Spragg

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Is that bad?! :confused:

3. Not for me!!

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Robbie Mc grath mototecnica in kimmage is your man he done my last sprag for under 600 euro replacing everything hes Ducati bologna trained and he's sound ! 01-490 8947

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. :upyeah: Cheers man. I was planning on bringing it to Robbie to go over it so I guess I just need to get in with him ASAP. I think he's closed at the moment with the lock down unfortunately but will give them a call tomorrow just in case.

6. He is too genuine !! Bought a 1098s that had been lying for 9 years he recommissioned it ,he done the belts , pads all around , valves checked full service, brake fluid replaced, clutch fluid replaced , and new seals in the ohlins forks replacing the oil too , 690 euro he is straight as a Dye is Robbie

• Like Like x 2
  7. That's a spicey meat'a ball,a!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. i once watched a good friend of mine who happens to be a 6 foot 5 lorry driver , attempt, after saying the 916 was his all-time dream bike, to mount mine .this went on for some time, and was like watching the proverbial monkey fucking a foot ball he ended up sort of scooting the thing round the works yard. we decided it would easier for the bike to ride him....................DS.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. I’m not convinced it’s the spragg. Didn’t read the whole thing, but the new battery is fully charged? I noticed you give some throttle during start, you shouldn’t do that. There is on the LH side a cold start lever, which is just a higher throttle position. Did you used that? Cheers

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. On my bikes the cold start button is on RH (throttle) switch gear. Open throttle about 1/3. Push button under RH switchgear. Turn off headlight if it’s on. Hit starter.
    I wondered if it is the breather blocked to the fuel cap if it starts cold then won’t start when a bit warm?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Are the throttle bodies balanced?
    Tps set?

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. That’s right I had that to on my 748R under the throttle. But my 998S (as all 998s) has the cold start lever. Don’t know which system the 996 has. As I’ve said I’m not convinced about the spragg route cause...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Need to check all basics first

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. On the 996 it’s on the throttle side switch. Same as 748r. I have both.
    Re battery, as Nick says. Charge it overnight before trying again.

Clean out thoroughly the fuel cap breather as they block up if the bike has been stood. New fuel? Fuel filter last changed when?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. I’d go with the fuel idea first as well. I think you said you ran it up to the local fuel station when you first got it. If the bike had been stood for a while the existing fuel could have been pretty nasty so if you didn’t drain the tank then all the nasty will still be in there.

I would siphon it all out - into a clear container so you can take a look - get the siphon tube right into the bottom of the tank right from the beginning and see what comes out. Any crud or water will settle to the bottom - neither is good for the bike.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. You might get a few yellow bits come out, the pain round the filler lid often flakes into the tank

17. I don't know tbh. I will try to check the fuel breather and fuel quality first - as they sound like they are within the scope of my limited capabilities!!! And then move on to next issue.

Now that I think about it... when the bike first arrived from the UK it fired up no problem after we wheeled it out of the van; and it idled fine. It was after a small bit of use and filling the tank that the problems arose....

18. Welcome to the forum

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. I could not hear the normally very loud fuel pump priming.

20. Video might start too late to catch it; when I turn the key there is a fuel pump whirr - but it's definitely not loud...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information