1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Just Bought A 996 Pics And Questions!

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by drumm23, Apr 7, 2020.

1. My money is on blocked breather.
    Edit: remove the rubber grommet at the rear of the filler hole after removing the fuel cap. You may be able to clean it up from the outside only. If the grommet falls apart don’t worry - readily available for a couple of quid. Block the filler neck with tin foil first.

2. image.jpg image.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Thanks Jack :upyeah:

When I got finished work I had a look. The grommet was intact. I popped it off then I blew up the little hose that exits under the fairing and it seemed clear - no resistance at all ... I tried to start the bike with the cap open and no go .... does that square away the breather as a potential issue?

4. On the start video I am another that says do not touch the throttle when cold although some bikes do need a bit, an adequately set up 916/748/996 does not normally need it. Sometimes they might when hot but it is best to avoid it on the first attempt. Starting is simple, engage the cold start button and do not use any throttle at all whilst pressing the starter, when hot do not use the cold start button. When cold leave the button pressed and avoid touching the throttle or revving it for a minute or two unless you have to, when you rev it it will drop off the fast idle and you will need to reengage the button if it still needs a faster tick over to keep running. Also I don't hear anything strange on the sprag but it does sound like its spitting when you use the throttle which might suggest a tps set up issue

#64 Denzil the Ducati, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Thanks Denzil - the only way to get it going was to give it throttle, it caught sometimes then ... but without throttle there's no chance. I tried it today with no throttle and it just dies quickly.

6. What are the chances I got a new battery that is low in charge. He took it from a store room, might have been there for years! Maybe if I bump start it and go for a drive I will at least know then that it's not the battery.

7. Did you push the fast idle button in? If your battery is new did you charge it fully before using it?

8. But it is starting or the starter disengages before the engine fires ? Or is the engine just not willing to run ? I ask because it sounds like the sprag clutch is letting go but hard to judge on the video ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I tried with and without the fast idle. Doesn't make a difference.
    No I didn't charge the battery, just stuck it in - I don't have a charger o_O

10. Make sure you have a full battery or you will end up shagging your sprag clutch !! Start at the battery being fully charged so you can rule it out !! Frustrating when all you want is a play on your new toy !!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ok, I'll shoot over to the battery guys and get them to charge it :upyeah:

edit: If I bump it and drive it for 20 minutes would that charge it?

12. Will it idle if you bump start it ?

13. it struggles ... but I think if I bring it for a spin it would ... the idle was fine a few days ago before the starting issues began

14. Get yourself an Optimate (other battery maintenance devices are available). It will pay for itself in saved batteries:)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Sounds like the breather is fine. You need a fully charged battery for sure. Out if interest, what make is the battery? Some have lower cranking ability than others. Get an optimate - I leave mine on all year.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nowhere near enough - get a battery charger and get it fully charged - doesn’t have to be expensive.

In fact SMC have a sale on at the moment - https://smcbikes.com/shop/detail/900-essential-battery-management-system/el570 40% off so only £22.50 for an Oxford charger (assuming your battery is not lithium)

#77 LiveFast......, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sorry in advance of this question.
    You are turning the throttle about 1/3 of a turn then pushing the button up aren’t you? This in effect locks the throttle on. It disengaged the first time you manually close the throttle with your hand.

• Like Like x 1
  19. How long had the bike stood before you bought it?

20. Today's update!

So, I brought the battery back, the lads checked the charge ... it was v. low so they gave me a new one, full charge.
    When I put that in I could immediately see the Neutral light and oil light were far brighter so was hopeful... alas, no gas!

Here's a video of me starting it (I'm out of breath from rolling it back into the driveway from the road!) ... I try to start it twice, the first time without the high-idle switch pressed; the second time I press in the high-idle and give it another go.
    Before I took the video I had tried to start it and it coughed quite a lot and there was a bit of a backfire too.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information