1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Just Bought A 996 Pics And Questions!

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by drumm23, Apr 7, 2020.

1. sprag sounds fine fuel pump is priming , its sounds like its not trying to fire , if I leave the key in my 998 and I don't start it fairly quick it do,s this , its like the bike is immobilised now I'm not sure if the ignition system is the same on the 996 ?

2. Back to basics - check that fuel is getting through and that a spark is being made.

And get that charger - these bike batteries don’t have a lot of amp-hours in them so it won’t take long for you to flatten it again while you are troubleshooting this.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. ^ what @LiveFast...... said.

Oh. And to fully rule out a blocked breather you could try and start with the fuel cap open. Just don’t rude it like that obviously.

#84 Expat Jack, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  4. Same happens if I try to start immediately -- I just delayed in the video because I was messing with the phone.I don't think there's any immobiliser in them actually.

5. No idea. I will see how tricky it is to get at them.

6. Yep - they gave me a charger with the new battery so I am good to go :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  7. I came up with that idea actually :D
    Didn't work:triumph:

8. Hi, im in Dublin also. Robbie is working away. My ST4S is with him, similar problem, maybe not the same, mine would give a slight kick and then die, looks like the fuel pressure regulator needs replacing...happened twice after I got fuel. Give me a shout when you are up and running, would love to see the bike.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Will do Alan. I'm going to bring it in to him to look at next week, I think I've exhausted my own (limited) capabilities at this point :bucktooth:

10. So it starts fine when cold?
    Runs fine once going?
    Doesnt start when hot and switched off, but once going it will run OK again?

11. Agree all sounds OK but after all the turning over without firing I think the plugs could well be fouled and a new clean pair might now be all that is needed.
    With regard to your 998 comment, I used to have the same problem when I first had mine until someone told me that the bike had to be started within 15 seconds of switching ignition on. Can't vouch for how true this is if at all but it did seem to cure my starting problems when I tried it. 998 has a different ecu to 996.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Can't speak for the 998, but the 848 for example when you turn the ignition on it keeps the coils switched on I think for 15 seconds, then turns them off, however you can still start it pretty easy, so not sure the issue here. Reading through the comments I can't help but think that there is something going on with the crank position sensor or somehow when the bike gets hot there is a wire brake in the ECU or something

13. It’s a lack of fuel or spark issue, don’t go looking anywhere else to start with.

pull both the plugs, easy on those, remove them and check one at a time is sparking by holding it to the cylinder head whilst spinning the engine. At the same time put a piece of tissue into the spark plug recesses but not into the hole for the plug. The tissue will stop anything going into the cylinder but will also get wet and smell of petrol if the injectors are firing. Within a couple of mins you can test both plugs for a spark and both cylinders for fuel feed.

Robbie has a very good reputation and as said above by @theskitz is also very reasonably priced it would seem; plus you have the benefit of being in Dublin.

Depending on your confidence and desire 748/916/996 are very easy to work on and you can do pretty much everything yourself, even if you don’t know how to today, there’s only one way to learn. I speak from experience living 5hrs away from Robbie or Ducati Rosso :(

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. I agree with the above. I would fit new plugs for starters. But I would also change the fuel filter.

15. I agree about the plugs and the fuel filter but for now disassembling the fuel tank may be a step too far for Drumm unless the filter is 100% blocked which will be revealed shortly.

I don’t mind admitting I’ve learnt an awful lot from the collective mind of this Forum and anything I pass on is just the distillation of that mind :upyeah::)

• Like Like x 2
  16. You like distilling don’t you Paul ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Bloody necessary at present:D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Can you hear the injectors clicking? They are loud enough to hear. Check the pick-up connector on the left hand side. Pull apart and make sure the contacts are clean and not clogged up with vaseline or some other crap. A weak pick-up signal means no injector pulses and no sparks. And, I think, no pump action (after the initial prime).

19. If you change the fuel filter, order plenty of pump O rings :p

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information