1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Fixed The Washing Machine

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Robarano, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Yep. :innocent: I see people at work having new kitchens fitted within a few years of their last one. I see white goods by the side of the road waiting for the council to pick them up, no doubt, perfectly servicable, but because someone just have to have the latest SMEG. People paying £1,000 to move from last years 55" flat screen tv to this years 60" flat screen TV. :rolleyes:

I get the same feeling when I see bikes for sale after 3 months, moving onto something else. no doubt blowing £thousands in the process.

I guess I'm just wired differently. :) :upyeah:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Rob rihbina.. you wouldn’t have fixed ours 20 years ago..

Machine =3 months old..

Mrs N on a day away Xmas shopping..

CJ my 5 yr old Daughter and me CJ sitting..

CJ sitting in lounge watching looped video of Rosie and Jim..

Me .. I’m scrubbing 300 muddy golf balls a bloke sold me for £10 which were from the bottom of a lake on a golf course.. it was taking forever to scrum them, I then had a brilliant brainwave and although hopeless domestically a few minutes later 300 muddy balls were swimming in the washing machine.. I’d thrown a bar of soap in the load part and some fairy liquid and then just turned knobs until it started... everything looked great until it hit spin cycle, whereupon it was as much as I could do to stop it dancing out of the front door..

Eventually the rodeo finished and I could open the door and reach for my prize... it seems, I had selected boil wash and 300 ultra bright golf balls were now one big blob of plastic and rubber..

Got rid of the evidence and cleaned up before later Mrs N came home, she had no idea thankfully..

2 weeks later and one almighty bang in the kitchen, yes the washing machine had imploded, no longer was it a rectangular shape it was distorted hideously..

Mrs N on the dog and bone to the repair man from planet Zannusi asking how in Bobby Moore’s name ( god ) could a few month old new machine go so wrong?

The repair man flew in from his planet and when he looked at the machine his words were... I’ve worked for Zannusi for 20 years and I’ve never seen one of our machines self destruct like that ( the concrete drum had completely disintegrated at max spin speed..

He left after fitting a replacement machine asking me what the hell is your Mrs putting in there? Has she put rocks in your socks or something?

“Who knows, No idea, women hey “I replied sheepishly sliding out the back door looking for the safety of my workshop .. X

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Schoolboy error Noods. Sporting goods and motorcycle parts are cleaned in the dishwasher. No spin cycle you see. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Ro-beena..
    20 yrs ago me old China, I was the dishwasher upper.. no machine for us, we’re not all minted you know, hence washing machine... x

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Should have gone for the 'silk' setting.....

I've fixed a few washing machines / dishwashers and tumble dryers in my time - agree with oldtech (Ithink) dishwashers end up being the biggest problem due to expensive parts, 100 quid for a new pump after a teacup was stuck over the water intake :bucktooth:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. During the war :D I remember the bonnet catch failing whilst driving my mk2 cortina gt. In them days, you could go down the breakers, climb up 3 cars high and dangle over the edge whilst taking parts off yourself without hse interfering.

I miss things you can fix.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ha yeah.. as Apprentice mechaniks at college we would all bundle in one car go to the scrap yard, as you said balance on 3 high cars etc whilst removing bits etc it was much like the scene from the Italian job with the bus.. there was always a big Alsatian dog on a chain at the gate or as Eric Cantona might say “Alsace-tians”
    And a huge bone crushing bloke would ask “what have you got?” We would show him a few badges like from a cortina or mini pay a small fee while the mate at the back slid out the gate with the cantilever tool box, one which was much heavier going out the gate than it was on the way in.. x

• Like Like x 1
  8. Exactly that, if it's hand sized it's a fiver, anything bigger gets hidden in the toolbox - which came in virtually empty :D

9. Don't get me started on dishwashers ..... please !

My policy is " Just say no " .
    But for friends and family I make exceptions .

The most recent fiasco , with a Bosch
    Cause of problem : broken diverter paddle in the hot water pump assembly ..... couldn't possibly be worth more than a fiver .

Can I buy a replacement diverter ? ..... NO
    Can I buy a new solenoid with diverter attached ? .... NO

What I can buy is the entire pump unit ..... for £138 plus P&P plus VAT

There is something insane about that ..... sick even !

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. I have a Bosch.

Bugger.

11. Best you get a set of marigolds Loz just in case

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Bloody Germans :D You can get much more bits in smaller component form from Italians - just sayin' :bucktooth:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nah mate.

They are invariably accompanied by a wimmins who is off her head and A WHOLE LOT OF TROUBLE.

No fanx!

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. My kitchen disaster happened when I was 18.
    Took the chain off the z250. Purchased one if those grease baths that you dropped the chain on top of, hold the (flimsy tin) handle up by inserting a nail through the holes on either side of the handle where it joined the ‘pan’.
    Took aforementioned chain in grease pan into my mum and dads BRAND NEW kitchen.
    Popped it on the gas.
    Left if for the allocated time. Went to lift it off- with protection (I was not stupid, I used the dishcloth).
    Boiling oil sloped, nail shot out, chain and entire contents deposited onto job and cabinet front and new Lino floor.
    It set pretty quick as surfaces were coldish.
    Clean up included judicious use of kitchen utensils including various knives (scrapers) and of course, the fish slice.
    Job jobbed and no one any the wiser.
    Still have not owned up!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  15. Do you fix kettles, the lid broke off

16. I can have a go if you are insured.

17. You just did:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Oh bugger o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. You do know that the lid comes off so that you can fill it with H2O :splat: you then put it back on when it's full. :confused:

You don't use appliances much, do you? o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information