1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

959 Just Put A Deposit On A 959

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Steve Wright, May 13, 2017.

1. Well have placed a deposit on a 65 plate with full akra and other parts.

Sold my 1299 a couple of months ago, will see and get the bike next week, hopefully made the right choice.

2. Congrats Steve. :upyeah:

3. Why the change from a 1299

4. May sound funny but I was just riding to fast everywhere.

I feel the 959 will let me use all the gears more and ride it. Not ridden an 899 or 959 so hopefully be happy coming from the 1299

• Like Like x 4
  5. I have the 899, great for the road, 150bhp is just perfect.. Love your radio show BTW :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Thanks :grinning: does anyone have one with the full akra fitted. Should make a difference I would think.

7. Have you gone for the underslung or the shotguns?

8. It's got the underslung fitted

9. Nice :thumbsup: I love the sound of my 899 on standard cans. I looked at one with termi's on before I pulled the trigger on mine, sounded fantastic.

10. Let us know how you find it. I've thought about this myself.

#10 Rjkc600, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
  11. I too will be the proud owner of a 959se next week, coming from the 899 which has been a great bike, hope I'll notice the slight differences between the two bikes

12. Welcome, please join the map linked below.

Ducati Forum

ps: New dedicated map been launched soonish!

13. Congrats.. I'm getting my new 959 this Saturday and cant wait. I have gone for the Tri Cup Package for Akra's..

• Like Like x 1
  14. This Wednesday just gone, my 1299 went in for warranty work.

I borrowed a 959 as a courtesy bike back to work. Totalled about 25 miles or so there and back.

Comparison? I instantly noticed it was less savage. Riding out through the town towards the dual carriageway, the 959 felt down on grunt compared to the wallop of arm pulling that the 1299 gives you. This was to be expected.

The fuelling is MUCH nicer on the 959. Far less snatching and kangarooing going on, in fact I can't say I noticed any. It felt like it fuelled near prefect low down with its Akra side exhaust and potentially an up map.

The clocks are different, and way less flash with no colour, and a calculator type font/display.
    Reminded me of my old 1098. Also the clock surround that holds the fairing etc was silver and not gold. Made it look a little less special.

Onto the dual carriageway, I had to open it up for some 'testing'.

Midrange definitely felt flat compared to the 1299, again to be expected. The 959 felt like I had to shift down a gear or even 2 to get to the power. Bear in mind I am used to a 1299 here. I got used to it quickly, and adjusted my riding style to suit.

Using the gearbox so much more than I'm used to doing to find the power band felt awesome, it was so involving and for the first time since my 2000 R6, I felt like I was actually riding the bike. It was great fun, felt far more rewarding having to work for the power. No quickshifter on the down change also felt good, blipping it manually to sift down was great, actually felt like a WSB contender doing so, I've now turned off my downshifter on the 1299 as a result.

Handling was of course top notch, although those standard diablo's didn't give anywhere near the confidence of the super corsa's so they'd have to be changed.

Brakes were good, didn't seen as sharp as 1299 but may be down to it being a bike that sits outside in the rain day in day out as a demo.

The clutch felt much nicer than the 1299, pulling away felt so easy, where both my 1299's have stalled easily.

The power gives a surge at 9k, in which the 959 actually pulls strong enough to feel like it's got some pretty big balls, to be fair a little like the 1299 here for the short 2000rpm till the redline.

Overall I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't swap my 1299 for one, only because the 959 lacked that 'special' feeling for me, and coupled with the conventional swing arm, and lack of colour LCD display, it'd feel like a step backwards.

I do think it's perhaps slightly more fun though riding it, but over a longer period I might find the novelty wears off and want a torquey brute that the 1299 is.

#14 Rjkc600, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 8
  15. Second that, my bike is being delivered tomorrow so looking forward on getting her out. Found out it also has the blip box fitted , should sound good with the full akra

16. Great write up thanks and I'm now even more excited if that's possible.. one more day to wait!!

17. Let's see!

18. Quick pic of the bike, added a screen, performance indicators and seat cowl.

Well pleased :)

IMG_2284.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  19. Congratulations on the new rides fellahs!!!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information