1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kawasaki W650

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Mick-Bob, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Anyone on here got one of these and can give any tips or information?

Got it at the end of last year so will use it over the summer to see if I like it, if I do I will do something with it to make it look less "Triumph". Only had a few short runs on it so far and it seems a bit refined (at least compared to 1980s two strokes, 1970s T140V's and 900ss carbies). Designed by Germans and made by a Japanese heavy engineering company probably explains why it is built a bit like a tank.

Thanks,
    MB.

W650.jpg

2. You could always paint it lime green like Kwakers always were!

3. Think this is actually an 800.

Green.jpg

4. I rode mine for a couple of years ,luckily i left it sitting ,idle jets got blocked ,took the carbs off the ultrasonic them and found the sliders had restriction washers to down power it for license rules i guess
    It went a bit better afterwards !
    The finish on the frame paintwork and alloy laquer wasnt the greastest even though i kept it clean it still ended up looking a bit tatty in places
    Lovely engine though and smooth to potter about on

5. The best Triumph Triumph never made.:)

The Big Green looks nice as a nod to flat tracking, could be a nice conversion for your 650?

6. I need to spend more time using my bikes and especially the W650. It is nice for pottering about on and has plenty of low down torque. There is a bit of vibration mid revs but gets smooth again at higher engine speeds. I will need to check the carbs but it seems to go pretty well for 50ish BHP. Mine is a Japan home market model (different paint job and slightly less power) and I get the feeling the frame paint might not be as good as the UK ones. Don't mind if it ends up looking a bit tatty - will just make it look older.

I have had a couple of old Triumphs - a T120 and a T140 - both leaked oil and needed engine work every eight or ten thousand miles or so. Looked after the W650 is supposed to do about 150k miles without any problem. It needs to be lent well over in the corners so I guess it must be pretty top heavy, it is certainly quite well made. Not sure if I will do anything to it or just use it.

I have four bikes and can't seem to stop looking at others - kind of looking out for a Honda FTR 223 and an old Kawasaki triple and a Suzuki GT500 and.... Fortunately, perhaps, there is rarely anything worth bothering with for sale about here.

#6 Mick-Bob, Jul 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Mine was a Jap model too ,If you havent already pull the carb sliders out and see if you have the plastic restrictors fitted ,I thought mine were fitted for license bhp reduction,but thinking back the guy ai bought it from had a full licemce so maybe the imports were resttricted

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. I will check that out - thanks.

Mine has the more restrictive and quieter Japanese silencers and I assumed that would be where the few horses were being lost.

9. Took the top off of one of the carburettors to have a look. Couldn't see anything that would stop the slide coming all the way up so no restriction there. Stuck my endoscope camera in the slide hole - after opening the throttle flap - and can't see any restriction there, so I assume that it is not restricted.

There is a bit of a step mismatch between manifold and head - just in front of the two inlet tracts - the sort of thing I will sort out at some point in the future. (The endoscope camera no longer works 100% since it was immersed in transmission fluid, hence the poor photo).

EDIT: These are a lot easier to work on than 900 carb. Supersports!

SlideW650.jpg

InletsW650.jpg

#9 Mick-Bob, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  10. No yours doesnt have them
    They are pretty easy to spot once apart like that
    I guess a pair of uk pipes and you will know i think i took off the egr stuff and blanked the diaphams on tne front of the heads and blanked off the airbox hole

Do Not Sell My Personal Information