1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keep Or Sell Advice 998s Bostrom...

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Deadman, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Hi, I haven't been on here or the original ducatisti for a very long time & have hardly ridden during the last few years either (combination of injuries/age/crap roads/too much traffic/indifference tbh :rolleyes:) so in the back of my mind I keep thinking about selling one of my sports bikes and getting something that's easier to just jump on and swing a leg over for a bit of pottering around on.

I've got a 998s Bostrom rep #60/155, had it about 8 years, its done about 9000 miles (I think without going to look for exact mileage - its been in heated garage under a cover for the last 3 years and only used for services/MOT and is currently SORN.)

Extras that I can recall of the top of my head include:
    The american 998s Bostrom fuel tank with Ben Bostroms signature (one of previous owners swapped it over)
    Full termi system
    JHP 6 post slipper clucth
    Gold half open clutch cover & JHP black open clutch cover
    JHP pressure plate
    Quick release fuel cap
    Black frame plugs
    Air box conversion
    Samco blue hoses
    Ducati paddock stand
    Pazzo short levers
    Front indicators built into mirrors
    Rear indicators built into brake lights
    Black rearsets
    carbon mudguard/swingarmcover
    Blue suede seat
    Helibars
    Blue anodised brake/clutch covers
    Lots of Carbon
    Exact start leads upgrade
    Its got all the correct paperwork, spare key etc & the Bostrom cover & limited edition plaque box
    (there are probably a number of other upgrades i've forgotten about)

I've also got a large box of almost all the original stuff that was taken off (e.g. definitely got the original exhaust system)

I'm in the lucky position of not really being in need of the money right now and I do still love the look of it and know its value is not going to depreciate over time, but just feel its a bit of a waste sitting in my garage when I also have other sports bikes that are also not used sitting next to it.

What are peoples views on the value of selling it now, compared to the value of selling it in say 10-20 years? is it likely to increase significantly enough in that timescale to be worth me keeping it bearing in mind the cost of keeping it stored/insured/serviced etc.

Thanks in advance for anyone taking there time to share their advice.

998s Bostrum.jpg

IMG_1535.JPG

IMG_1541.JPG

IMG_1542.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  2. I generally reckon that if you factor in the price of maintenance, mot and insurance over twenty years, it would want to go up by a lot to break even.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Cheers - insurance wise its not as bad because its on a multi bike policy... just removing that one doesn't change the premiums much.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sell it, you would make more from the money elsewhere without the hassle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. It's an absolute beauty. Why this one as opposed to one of your others?

6. 749r full carbon & pretty much every part upgraded further to WSS spec - I don’t think i will ever sell that as it’s my favourite.

1098s tricolore that has pillion seat so the mrs can go on the back.

#6 Deadman, Mar 29, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I have a pillion on my 1098. A pig will fly before my wife would get on it. My lass is happy out going to school on it though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. If it is not ‘your keeper’ like the 749R then sell it. Make sure you do something with the money though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I'm not sure about others on this forum but i was a huge fan of the Bostrum brothers back in the day.Anyway a typical American paintjob in your face attitude and not everybody's cup of tea, but nevertheless it must be worth a few quid, so check the marketplace out for recent sales.I see there's a Neil Hodson Rep up for sale at £15k at the minute.

• Like Like x 1
  10. i dont get it. its not been sold so far so keep it. if you dont need to sell it then why would you unless you have something else you want to do/buy with the money.

they are not making them anymore so they will only go up in value.

part of the ownership experience has to be knowing that you have one and that warm fuzzy feeling it gives you? thats priceless in my book and why i like many others here can justify keeping stuff thats not ridden etc

• Like Like x 1
  11. @RC1 That made me laugh out loud "the warm fuzzy feeling" more like Led Zeppelin's Dazed and Confused from my point of view.:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. good song

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Yeah they're on a pedestal above others when it comes to the best rock songs ever in my opinion.

14. Sell it.

You have the bike you really like, that you will never sell. You have one to take the old lady out on the back.

In five years we might need to pay a pollution permit for everyday we ride a petrol bike -similar to London's ULEZ. What will that do to the prices? Especially if fuel is £10 a gallon and your bike won't run well anyhow because its all ethanol? OK thats extreme, but...

Buy yourself something to to potter about and get back outside, on the road, and enjoy it!

• Like Like x 1
  15. I wouldn’t be selling no no no

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Looking at it does still give me a warm fuzzy feeling - like all the 916 range it looks fabulous. Just also have a nagging feeling in the back of my head that it’s hardly/never used.

17. got a bit nerdy and found this link

https://www.alastairbols.com/cars/ducati-998s-ben-bostrom-replica

What does this bit mean though?

This 998S Bostrom Rep is an official UK bike, showing as #130 of the rest of the world editions, not to be confused with one of the USA #155 models, with these UK bike’s having a different plaque branding and a little more power due to easier emission regulations in the era.

18. Just out of interest why are the 2 Ben Bostrom signatures so completely different to each other. Very nice the tank is signed but it’s a completely different signature to the one on the plaque.

19. Sales flannel, UK bikes have always had a few extra ponies in every guise compared to their US cousins due to their more limiting emission laws, its just a UK bike, and the chance of anyone in the UK buying a US bike are slim to none, and if they were the chances are it would be a for a collection rather than to ride so the extra few ponies are irrelevant.

20. Very nice, have always liked the Bostrom,
    Been to Finchingfield many times, nice tea and home made cake in the cafe :upyeah:( First photo)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information