1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keeping A Bike Inside On Display

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Dr.D, Jul 14, 2019.

1. I hate leaving mine on optimates in the garage, not heard of one going up yet though :worried: only have 3 on the road, and only 2 of them run batteries - but I tend to give them a few hours on a weekend and turn off again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Some of them, but which ones I don't know :worried:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Value guess for that impending pension day £150/200K plus:thinkingface:

4. If you had to give sell them but keep one, which would be the one?

5. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. noobie,i would say he would keep the kawasaki as that's the one he built & rides all the time:thinkingface:

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. I guess most items have some sort of danger to them.
    All appliances are tested and rated safe to use (Hotpoint dryers....) even sofas etc have to be rated.
    I would remove sources of ignition and food for the fire.
    Bike doesn't have to be a direct cause of a fire. A remote started fire will soon have an "empty" bike well alight. Tyres, plastics, poss magnesium. All nasty stuff tbh.

There again my gas cooker has an ign source and plenty of fuel...

I wouldn't have one in the house..I am replaceable but the little kid next door isnt.

8. I've got a couple on display, all the fluids were changed, incl brake fluid. Fuel tank was drained and inside of the tank was fogged with fogging oil to preserve. Battery either removed or disconnected. I put them in gear a couple of times a year and move the engine slowly to a different position. I also pull the clutch and press the brakes to keep everything moving.

9. Ha, 3 pages in and @mentalist actually answered the OP's question :grinning:

Stu, those pics are stunning... we'd buy tickets and you could give Bologna museum a run for its money.

Ive decided im gonna long-term store in a fairly small office space.... and concerned its gonna stink the place out.

- How best to drain the tank? (999R) and what to put in it once drained?
    - And drain carbs - disconnect and run them till she conks out?
    - Exhaust smell. Its noticeable - Anyone plug theirs up it or could it cause condensation?
    - Other fluids - Ive noticed the metal lids on reservoirs can get corrosion over time when left on steering lock. Just take a touch out and keep level low?
    - Battery. Ideally need it for tracker. But would it be better removed?
    - Belts - If bought now do they last as a stored part or like tyres age with time? Reckon they'd be cheaper to buy now than when I want to re-commission?

Cheers for the info.

10. Sorry cant answer your questions...had to stop reading at draining the carbs on a 999R.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. If I half them maybe :thinkingface:

12. No I don't, I currently ride a 1098R, an R1 and a YR5 - the Z1 hasn't been on the road for years (and it is a bit unpractical as the tank range was about 35 miles o_O but yes, at the moment that would be the keeper)

• Like Like x 1
  13. I empty mine as much as possible then run dry - through the throttle bodies :eyes:
    Make sure any fuel residue is removed with a rag by tilting the tank, leave gas cap open for a few days.
    I have exhaust plugs on some but not all - Mrs Ex is in the UK a lot and is the fussiest woman in the world and even she doesn't complain about any smell - which means there is no smell at all!
    Removal of battery is a definite.
    Don't understand your steering lock comment - the res. lids do weep and the paint falls off.
    I give a very light spray of ACF50 in the tank before closing the cap (on steel tanks)
    Belts - buy when re commissioning - but sealed from sunlight they will be fine if you have them already.
    Tyres off the floor.
    Target a relative humidity of 50% - both my house and wooden garage are at 50% (that's the advantage of having a garage that looks like a shed :)
    My insurance is covered by a full power point document of all the bikes locations and security which went to the underwriter for approval / acceptance.

14. When will you cash up then within the next 5/10 years:thinkingface:

15. Depends on how long I keep doing 3 days at work - at the moment they are better where they are :)

16. Plus much better to view:upyeah: than Birds Sinfonia Wallpaper;)

17. How do you even know about such things :worried:

18. Shup, Eclat.

You know nothing of storing bikes indoors on display. Stick to whatever the Hell it is you must know something about, surely.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. You know how life is,as you pickup on the odd thing every now & then:upyeah:

20. Not things as grotesque as that, not in my life time :eyes:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information