1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Keys

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Topbox, Apr 6, 2018.

1. After reading your post Peter, I thought it was a good idea so I made enquires about a spare remote key for my DVT with Riders in Cardiff and they told me that I couldn't have another remote key as this would disable my original key ?

2. World's most boring series of posts!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. The CPU can be programmed to recognise a maximum of three keys. If Riders are telling you it is a maximum of two keys, they are misinformed.

4. Hi
    I just got a spare red key for my Multistrada 1260 cut at Timpsons in Chichester (Tesco) for £10. They have the blanks and it works perfectly. They also say they can replicate a transponder key too. Can't recommend Timpson's highly enough. And they fixed my old Gaerne boots too!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Used the same company for a dumb key for my 1260. The flip key stays in my pocket and the dumb key is on a lanyard either around my neck or in the tank bag and gets used for opening fuel filler and panniers. The red short range un-powered transponder key remains a true spare kept at home or in the hands of a tour buddy when away. They only needed a photo of the existing key, it fitted straight off. Cost was £15 delivered. Great service, I would recommend them too.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Seen this in the other key post and sent them a message, cheers for the link

7. So, just to confirm, the red key for my 1200DVT can be used to start the bike? Where abouts does it need to be held as I tried it and not a flicker?....

8. upload_2018-12-5_9-0-24.png upload_2018-12-5_9-0-47.png

Images above taken from the Controls section of the owner's manual for the DVT model.

For 2010-2014 models, the antenna is in a different location.
    upload_2018-12-5_9-3-2.png

RTFM!

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. The 1260 has what looks a little key symbol combined with a WiFi symbol moulded into the righthand black plastic fairing panel beneath and forward of the right hadlebar to indicate the antenna location. Not sure if the 1200 DVT has the same.

10. If you get a copy/clone I strongly suggest you dont do your red key as its the master key. clone the flip-key instead (it is active, but if you remove the battery or its flat it will still operate as a passive key).

My red key stays at home in the safe, its too valuable to lose.
    I use a keyless filler, so the active flip-key rarely comes out of my pocket unless on a trip, and then only for the seat/topbox/panniers.
    we have a dumb (non chipped) key the wife uses to get into the topbox/panniers too (for when I'm in the bar and she is unpacking :D)

Don't forget you can start the bike without the keys too, using the start button in front of the tank. If you've not already set the code, you really ought to.:)

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Great info thanks guys, I tried the red key where the diagram said and bingo!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information