1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kr1000 Replica Build...

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Exige, May 15, 2013.

1. yep that's cool,, if I can help you with the welding then please ask,,, R

2. Thanks for your kind offer, pity you are not closer. Are you certified, you need to be :smile:

3. ;) fully " coded " mate,, all Lloyds certs for Carbon and Stainless steel , current red stamp, in my own name,,,,,,,,,,,, I think that will cover you for most things :)

4. Cool :Happy:

#64 Exige, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2014
  5. The project is looking good,if you still need welding or advice on your tank fab im only in Hull,also have a mandrel bender for frame tubes.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. I've sorted the bending thanks, the tubes are quite complex, LH one has 8 bends in it going all over the place so I had to do it at source with the engine in situ a bit at a time - took a while but I've completed the test bends and I'm ready to make the main tubes now.
    The tank fabrication is another matter - when the frames finished I can then proof check my former - then stiffen it somehow and try and for the pieces for welding, I may come unstuck so thanks for the offer.
    TIG will be required, I will need to have it welded in two stages - first the two main frame tubes and rear upright tubes - at which point I'll need fabricate a jig to complete the rest of the frame and headstock / swing arm alignment.
    I'll give you a shout if (when) I get stuck, cheers!

7. i do all kinds of welding tig and bronze included,got a frame jig aswell.

8. Fab :Happy: I'll shout you soon! Cheers again.

9. First trial frame tubes - now bending the proper ones and tweaking after double checking scaling and geometry from photo's and the Tamiya model. Gaffer tape works well and far easier than welding, before anyone comments ;)

Frame 2.jpeg

Frame 1.jpeg

10. am an expert with gaffer tape. (cant mig tig or weld at all) but if you need a hand with the gaffer...

11. Now really, does it look like I need a hand with the gaffer tape - it's a work of art man! Abstract maybe, but still art! :Happy:

12. TBH mate,, you should get your self a little ( 180 amp ) gasless mig machine to tack weld your bits together, you might be surprised at how easy it is to use :upyeah: ( oh , and a grinder ;) )

13. Got a grinder already :Happy:

14. Finished the new frame tubes, just need drilling for the head stock fitment and to fit each other. I'm sure they will need tweaking when offered up but very pleased with the result considering a month ago I didn't think I'd be able to achieve one good bend :Happy:
    It's fab learning new skills and means so much more on the build that I know every single facet of the geometry of the bike even if it did hit me in the eye at one point while I had no high Vis on :Inpain:

frame - 3.jpeg

15. Can you sort my kitchen sink waste pipe? :Muted:

16. If you want it in T45 yes ;)

17. You dont mig weld T45,and you dont weld headstock on if you cant weld,im not having a go lol.

18. I ain't going near no welder, never was, too hard a skill to learn for a one off! I know it needs TIG too :upyeah:

19. I did insert ttonup quote but its gone,you wouldnt belive some of the bad bike work i have seen, did you leave enough length on the tubes to cut the headstock in? I usually file the tubes for the headstock to make sure i get a perfect fit,i have a tube notcher i use for the rest.

20. I left 6" of tube to enable me to use the angle finder for geometry as I was bending some of the complex shape into the main tubes. I then jigged them on a pillar drill and cut the head stock diameter and angle with a headstock sized hole saw so minimal adjustment is required. I left 5mm spare per side in case of any adjustment requirement but they look pretty good and an extra 5mm in width between the fitted tubes wont be an issue if I don't need to adjust. I just need to re do one of the rear uprights which came out a bit wrong :smile:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information