1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kr1000 Replica Build...

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Exige, May 15, 2013.

1. The stiffness isn't an issue - the casing is 3.5mm thick with additional internal ribs and will have the welded in insert too :):upyeah:

#1081 Exige, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Kin nutter.

3. :p

4. Looks like the works bike has a modified production clutch cover as it still has the 'ki' of Kawasaki visible - unless it was off a Suzuki....
    But any ideas why the factory went for a pull mechanism for the clutch rather than the original push? Wondering what the advantage was for endurance racing?

Mr Bimble.

5. Yes, production cover - mine will be a 'ki' as well o_O
    2 possible reasons I can think of - front sprocket quick access as it ran with no clutch push rod cover - but possibly and more likely: minimum friction on the cable clutch as the easier cable route and mechanism have less friction. 2 hour + rider stints is a lot of gear changes with heavy duty clutch springs.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Screenshot_2020-07-07-21-18-44-77.png

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Been seeking a period looking race style Rev Counter for a while and finally found a modern new unit that replicates the 80's race Tacho's - ordered one today :)

Rev Counter.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  8. Had the transitional fit centre punch pin made and attacked the engine case tonight!!!

Thrust bearing pin removed...

IMG_0982 (1).jpg
    Replaced with hardened and ground centre punch pin in position...

IMG_0983.jpg
    Casing bolted up. clutch push rod inserted from the other side of the engine and a sharp tap with the big hammer...

IMG_0984.jpg
    We have the centre :bucktooth:

IMG_0987.jpg
    And a pilot hole drilled...

IMG_0988.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  9. Good Tacho that, I had one on my Z1000H.

ebay 4.JPG

In fact I might still have it in the Garage.
    I do have a White faced one with Ducati branded.
    Nasher

#1090 Nasher, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Good skills. I like this thread. :upyeah:

11. Roughly shaped the seat out - should look good against the green when the seat unit is painted. The seat pads are slightly smaller than originally intended as I realised I could just squeeze 2 sets out of the sheet I bought, so I now have a spare.

IMG_0997 (1).jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  12. That looks comfy

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. On Saturday I made a top clamp plate for the faring top bracket to bling it up a bit - the bracket will be black when finished so the clamp will remain plain aluminium for contrast.

IMG_1017.jpg
    Just a little job today, but still took a while! The top fixing plates were way out on angle and would stress the fiberglass too much, so it was either remake it, or cut some angled rubber mounts which would support correctly. I chose the latter as the best and neatest solution... The fixing has a filed 2mm nylon washer to achieve the correct flushness with the A surface of the faring.

IMG_1014.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  14. Just trial fitted a coil off my Z1 - need to order a set but with Black HT Leads!

IMG_1019.jpg

15. Another late reader of this thread, brilliant, love it, the amount of work involved is incrediable & a credit to you. I spent ten years building a custom bobber so I know what it's like :upyeah::joy:

Regarding the modified clutch assembly, I'm sure you have it all in hand & thought about it, but it did occur to me that if you turned the plug, that you intend to weld into the clutch cover, with a small lip on it you could pass it through from the inside it would help make a good mechanical joint before welding it in place. Also, I know you have already bought a Suzuki unit for this, but I fitted a CNC'd aftermarket part to my Z900-A4 which may be worth looking at, just as an option if you have not already seen one.
    I will try & find a link to the part.
    Found it, https://www.cybike.co.uk/Shop/Products/clutch1/easy-clutch-release-kit
    Could be adaptable ?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Because it's taken so long to get this far he doesn't have to worry about that little job now ! Sometimes it pays to take your time doing a job !:joy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Other than the anodised bit that would have been a good option - it’s a copy of the Gpz unitrack one that runs in the original casting that I couldn’t use, the Suzuki one rotates the opposite way too, but does give better clearance than the original one for the cable.
    The alloy boss will be recessed from the front as it’s easier and welding it in will be fine :):upyeah:

18. Yes, see what you mean. Never though about the direction of rotation !

19. My Tacho turned up today :blush: and my Ti for the exhaust arrived with Chad today too :eyes:

Top Yoke design is out to get CAD-ized for CNC Machining.

That's it for now as the part time boss flies in today for 3 weeks o_O airport run in 2 hours :worried: I will try and get over to Hull to give Chad enough info for making a start on the exhaust, need to plan a family day out in Hull :thinkingface:

Laters...

IMG_1068.jpg

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information