1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kriega R25 Or R30 Backpack

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by damodici, Jun 17, 2017.

1. I've owned a R20 backpack for a while and it's been brilliant, just as every Kriega product I've had has been.

But I'm toying with the idea of selling it and getting one a touch bigger, that obviously leads me to the R25 or R30

Both have plus points;

The R25 looks like it's probably a touch quicker and easier to get in to as it's a classic zip opening and it also has an inside pocket similar to the R20 I have.
    It isn't however classed as 'waterproof'
    I would think it's reasonably shower proof just as my R20 has been. So in prolonged heavy down pours and motorway spray things can get a little wet inside, oddly not always, but it has happened before where the water ingress dampens the inside of the fabric a bit.

https://kriega.com/riderpacks/r25

The R30 however is fully waterproof though, it has the roll top dry liner bags similar to what you get in the US tail packs. No inside pocket though because of that, but two decent sized outer ones, obviously with those being outer pockets they'd be susceptible to the same dampening described as above. It does also look rather big though

https://kriega.com/riderpacks/r30

In an ideal world I'd take the R25 for the inside pocket and for the size, but I'm wondering whether it's worth getting the R30 due to it technically being superior and the main compartment being truly waterproof?

So, Have any of you used either? or ideally both for best comparison?

My concern about the R30 is the volume is pretty big, all the pictures show it padded out and so without it being reasonably full it might be a bit saggy and flappy due to excess material?

Ultimately I don't need anything to commute with regularly, this is more about having some decent kit in case I want a simple change of clothes or possibly a couple of nights overnight stay.

Im not a small bloke and so by default my clothes aren't.

By the time I've put in a pair of size UK11.5 trainers, pants, socks, long length jeans, Xl Tshirt and wash bag, the R20 I've got doesn't fit much more in.

Damn these first world problems....DAMN THEM I SAY :weary_face:

2. I cave the 25 and the 35 neither of which are fully waterproof either. I wish I'd got the 30 now you say it's waterproof!!

3. Based on looking at both the links you provided, my choice would be the R30. You don't have to fill it full but having the added space is great. I was surprised at the perspective, in the pictures it looked huge but in the video the actual size is just about right. Great looking kit by the way but at £160 it should be :). Andy

4. I've now got a us20 us30 r25 r36 messenger bag iPad mini case and a couple of cubes for washbag and chargers etc. I don't mind paying the money because the stuff just works!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. It does look pretty big, but I've been looking at the sizing on the website and they're pretty much even.

In fact the R25 looks like it's longer by 30mm

R25 DIMENSIONS
    520(h) x 300(w) x 160(d) mm
    20.5(h) x 11.8(w) x 6.3(d) ins.

R30 DIMENSIONS
    490(h) x 300(w) x 210(d) mm
    19.3(h) x 11.8(w) x 8.3(d) ins.

6. Don't forget you can strap the dry packs to the rucksacks if you need additional capacity

• Like Like x 1

7. I have a us5 on the back of an r25 to carry my thermos mug of coffee just in case it leaks in my rucksack!!

8. I use a US20 and US10 :)

9. I have a Kreiga US 30. It doesn't have the rucksack straps, it purely a tailpack, otherwise its exactly the same as the Riderpack 30. Never had a drop of water through it. Usually put my clothes in it without a liner when touring and they've never got so much as damp. I'll be taking a laptop in mine when I go away shortly with down qualms.
    When I'm stopped somewhere for a few days I use it to carry shopping or as a day pack, often practically empty but for a couple of maps and odds and sods. It doesn't flap about at all. There are four loops which attach to the slots in your rear rack and those stay in place. Then four quick release buckles on the pack slot into those loops and you pull the straps on the pack itself as tight as you need to. It takes seconds to get on an off the bike. You can have it fully stuffed or empty and it will tighten down securely.
    The tails of the tightening straps can be a bit long if the pack is empty but I just tie them off against themselves with a hitch to stop them flapping. You don't know the pack is on there when you're riding.
    The tails of the securing loops which remain on the rack are a bit long. I roll the excess round and round the slot in the rack and hold them there with a cable tie.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Had an R30 for a long time, I've never used the R25.

I don't do wet weather if I get caught in rain its bad planning on my part, so I can't say how good it is.

Can say it's supremely comfortable, the strap design is ace and I thought at first it might ruin my riding enjoyment. Once on after a few minutes it's totally forgotten about. I also use it occasionally for ski-ing and it works well for that activity too, although my ski-ing skills are absolute pants.

I'd recommend it, also use the little harness pocket thingy for cash and cards.

I own the bum bag and the US 10 too. Use the US 10 as a tank bag with the relevant attachment, it doesn't get in the way and can be whipped off or lifted quickly at one end for fuelling.

Everything I've bought from Kreiga has lasted and IMHO is well thought out, would not hesitate to recommend their products

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sod it.

I shall order both for a side by side comparison and then return one of them.

For me having something fully waterproof is good, but then again I doubt I'd ever really fill out a 30ltr bag, but until I get it in front of me it's hard to tell.

If the R25 happens to be my preference, I can always attach my us10 to the front and use one of these inside

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Exped_22...p7K2-jJCmfvwlbTRym9mIU9ysQri6AkZJwaAoPR8P8HAQ

12. Looks like good quality kit and Kreiga certainly seems to have a good reputation but having used Ventura luggage I would never consider anything else, rock solid mounting on bike and totally weatherproof cover keeps everything dry. Can be carried as a rucksack when you get off your bike as well. It is more costly but truly brilliant kit in my experience.

13. I got the R15 as I hated the idea of a underfilled bag flapping around. It's too small really and I regretted it for a couple of years but I now ride a 990 SMT so have the top box option for bigger things and now the R15 makes sense for the smaller bits you want to keep on your person (I also have the camel pack).

I also have a US30 and a US5, both have been used a handful of times and now sit there doing bigger all. With the top box, panniers, the US30 and a backpack, I should be able to move house on the bike o_O

14. I’m not sure if you’ve already made your choose, but here’s my thoughts. I have the r25 and before purchaseing it, I had the same perdicament. My solution is a 35l drybag as a liner inside the main compartment. Fits perfectly and keeps everything safe and dry if cought in a downpour. If the need for more space would arise, Kreiga has a 10l I belive, add-on bag that expands the amount of gear you can bring. IMO the r25 is just the right size for edc and with loads of versatility.

15. Welcome Dave. Why not introduce yourself properly in the newbies section too :)

16. must confess not too impressed by the R30 apart form the fact the main bag is a waterproof dry bag

i have had two R30 fail in the same place at the shoulder strap stitching and one of the zips jam
    the first went back to be replaced under warranty
    This was refused as they told me i had over loaded the bag!! considering i have a 35 year old 65 litre Karrimor rucksack that has had way more in it and never failed i was a bit taken a back by this excuse
    Kriega also refused to send me it back to be repaired myself but they sold me a "new one for "cost" £65 + postage

when the second one failed in the same place I had it re-stitched by a bag shop in north london for £8 and it has not failed since

17. Hey Damodici,

I use the Kriega 25 ltr rucksack with one of these in side :-

https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-dry-bag-784313

The blue one is 40 ltrs and its only £7:99 !!

They are so cheap at sports direct that I've bought loads of different sizes from about 5ltrs upwards.

I use it also inside my "Gearsack" tailbag, and also my panniers on my old BM.
    I ALWAYS bung my shoes in a separate bag after reading about a guy on tour that had stepped in some dog shit and not realised it when he packed his gear up - :poop::poop:

The next night when he got ready, his best "pulling" shirt was covered with dog shite....Bluuurrggh!!!! :mask:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Buy an R25 and then attach a US5 or US10 as or if you need it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I’ve got the R30. It’s a fantastic bit of kit with plenty of room. I have ridden through torrential rain with it and the contents were completely dry. It’s also mega comfortable to ride with as none of the weight is on your shoulders.

20. I’ve got an R30 that I used for touring last year, it was great. I’ve now got a much better bike luggage set up so was looking to buy an R20 for shorter trips as the R30 is overkill for day trips.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information