1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ktm 1290 Super Adventure S

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by PerryL, Aug 21, 2020.

1. If your struggling with some sort of injury is an adventure bike the right thing, they are everything but light? The KTM is a bit of a lump to move around.

• Love You Love You x 1
  2. At the moment, I've discovered that I can't get on a bike! I'm practising with a pushbike which I can't get on either. So, when I've got that minor detail cracked and got a driving license, I will need to go testing to see how I manage. It's all a bit much but I am a stubborn SOB and want to get an electric bike anyway. So, more recovery required!

3. We need a new thread.

Things that Perry will buy, when he gets his insurance money..

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. And I have no idea when that will be or how much it will be.The insurance rehab scheme won't buy me a bike. They buy whatever my physio recommends but she hates motorbikes and won't help. She even boshed getting me an electric bicycle by unhelpfully pointing out that I couldn't get on one. This is supposed to be my team and they seem to want to allow unhelpful facts to get in the way!

#24 PerryL, Aug 23, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  5. Oh dear, a Kawasaki has now entered the frame! Mainly because my nearest bike dealer is Frasers of Gloucester and they do Kawasaki. I am intrigued by the Versys 650 or 1000.

I'll try and shut up now as I am not going to be able to decide without test rides. And to do that I need my driving license restored.

I think that it boils down to a Moto Guzzi V85, Ducati Multistrada 950s, or a Kawasaki Versys. All new. I will part ex one of my existing Ducatis to keep the garage clear.

Or, I may do nothing and stick with my existing bikes.

Decisive, me .................

6. For balance, I went the other way with the Adventure. Both great bikes but I found the Multistrada a bit sweeter to ride. I always encourage people to try them out on a test ride as everyone will have their personal preferences.

7. Going backwards and forwards now!

Maybe I need a psychiatrist!

Kawasaki binned and KTM well back in the frame. Now looking at 790 Adventure on the basis that I may not be strong enough for a bigger bike and this does the touring job.
    upload_2020-8-25_16-18-22.png

• Like Like x 1
  8. Just been looking at one of those on the Saint Bernard pass last week. Big cloud of blue smoke on start up. Are they a two stroke. :scream:?
    Maybe take a look at the new Tracer gt. The performance is rather good, for a bargain price.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I would try and find a low mileage 1090R or 1190R. Excellent bikes. I am at a bit of a loss as to why ktm dumped them for
    the 790 middleweight, which I'm sure will become tedious on long road biased tours.

10. I might be more comfortable with the 790 Adventure. It's still quite fast and you can get the panniers for it. It has a 20 litre tank and so good range. I'll have to wait until my leg is stronger (I can't even sit on a bike now) and do test rides.

It's still Tuesday, so Multistrada 950s, KTM 790 Adventure, or Moto Guzzi V85.

I'll keep the selection at that and try not to complicate things - no jap, no BMW, an no Triumph.

But Wednesday is a new day ...

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. I think that it's fairly clear on the KTM website. You just have to look at the tyres. There is a contingent of Youtube "stars" who try to take the wrong bike off road. But then the Youtube "star" code of conduct seems to be, you con a bike from a dumb dealer and then take a road bike off-road, after chucking the owner's manual in the bin. I been looking at stuff on Youtube alot and 99% of it needs to be discarded. There seems to be a strong tradition of chucking the owner manual in the bin and trying to take a road bike off-road.

And that is before you get into all the sh1t with the Moto Guzzi V85 where people see it's called "Adventure" and so think it's fair game to go off-road. The fact that with any serious off-road stuff you WILL drop the bike at some point and will have to pick it up - which, as with most of the current crop of 'adventure' bike, you stand zero chance of being able to pick one up on your own.

12. After years of riding superbikes I settled on a 1090Adventure, imho is a very good bike for the monies.
    I bought one with 480 miles on the clocks, one private owner. Only £8000 still under warranty until November.

I tested the 1290SA, GS1200TE, 1260Multi unless riding very long journeys all are a little bit overkill for the ocassional weekend blast...not to mention the price.
    In my opinion the bikes that are one size below these are a better option for shorter riders or someone that is not 100% fit. 950Multi S, 1090Adventure, 790 Adventure, Tracer GT, Suzuki Vstorm....

My mate sold his GS1200TE and went for a 1290SA he believes the bike is much better in every single aspect iirc he paid £14700 for a fully loaded one. (The only thing he had slight complains about was the heat from the rear cylinder, he sorted out with some mesh cover from KTM Powerparts)

If in market for a new bike the Yamaha Tracer GT seems the best package for the monies...I took one out when my R1 was in for service. Apart from mild wind buffeting at motorway speeds, there was nothing to fault on the bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I had a test ride on a Tracer about 3 years ago -horrible. I'm sticking with my European choices, or getting nothing.

14. Getting really fed up with the Youtube airheads now.

Why, if anyone is so misinformed and not getting it, do they suddenly want to make a video to show everybody else how stupid they are?

Sorry to keep going on about KTM on a Ducati site, but from KTM's own website the difference between the 790 Adventure and 790 Adventure R is crystal clear. You don't even have to be able to read - just look at the pictures:
    The R
    The R upload_2020-8-25_23-3-25.png
    And the not R
    upload_2020-8-25_23-7-1.png
    One on rocks with knobblys
    and one on the road with road tyres. What is so effing complicated?

This is the latest twat video:

WTF gives anyone he impression that the bike above, with road tyres being ridden on the road is an off-road bike?

I simply don't get it. Does adventure" now mean "off-road"? So, you can't have an "adventure" unless you go off-road? In all the times that I've been around Europe, nobody has every got a detailed map out and said , "fook this, we need to find a muddy track with deep water to really have fun!" Would you watch Moto GP and expect the leader to suddenly stop, throw their bike on the floor, grab an "Adventure" bike and go off-road and everyone to follow?

Is that the gig with the Multistrada? You buy the 158hp Pikes Peak at around 20 grand and declare to the selling dealer, "point me to the nearest bog! I need to get muddy!" And then you post a Youtube video declaring that you are an off-road god and berating the Multistrada because it is crap off-road!

OK, I know. It's just taken me much longer than most to get it. YOUTUBE IS SH1T!!!

#34 PerryL, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  15. Don't know enough German for what the "R" stands for. In English, it could be "Rough". "Rugged", and maybe it should be "ORFYS", Off-Road For Youtube Stars". Surely, if you were going to buy - which I might - you do a bit of research and the right bike for you is obvious? I guess not in the age of Youtube. You don't research but just find a Youtube "star" to guide you. Their word is gospel. All of the bike press is just bin fodder....

16. A new day!

And still the same choice... Got to concentrate on a driving license now. So, I will shut up...(for a minute)...

17. With KTM the R is more "full offroad potential", whereas adventure bit is a bit like the old term "dualsport" where it'll be
    happy enough on gravel lanes etc. All of this depends upon your choice of rubber and personal skill levels of course.

With the majority of ktm stuff that have offroad leanings, they will be a damn sight cheaper to drop if you make a mess of things.
    That and they will still be more than rideable.

18. When I get my license back, I will arrange test rides. That's the only way that I can decide if if I choose to ignore Youtube "stars". You can get hard panniers for the KTM as a factory extra and so there is no doubt (in my mind) the purpose of the bike.

From a distance, there is nothing in my head between the bikes.

Also, now, I don't feel the need to ask for opinions. It's clear to me, why each one is in my top three. I have to decide by riding them and nobody else can do that for me.

I may even have to go and visit each factory to check on their manufacturing standards! That would be a sacrifice that I just have to make!

• Like Like x 1
  19. I can't see any flaws in your posting. They are essentially the same bikes and I guess that is why they are both called "Adventure". I guess that KTM can't afford to make the bikes significantly different and call them different names. Why anyone would want to take a bike with road tyres off-road defeats me.

20. Have you considered the Tiger 900? It keeps winning bike of the year in magazines.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information