1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ktm 1290 Superduke 2.0

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by damodici, Nov 8, 2016.

1. I seem to remember KTM partaking in some odd practices with the RC8 one year, selling a load of old unregistered bikes on the cheap, totally destroying the market.

2. I paid 12K for my 2016 standard model. I'm quite happy with that. I don't plan to sell it any time soon. I've done 9000 miles in the first year and I aim to get close to 20,000 miles on it before the warranty expires. that should shake any issues to the surface before it becomes my responsibility to pay for them and then I can start playing. There's open airboxes, custom exhaust systems and remaps to think about and hopefully there is a Rotrex supercharger kit on the way....:eyes: And mine's orange. Don't want any other colour. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. I sold my Tuono 1100RR as I was planning on getting the 2017 Duke. However, after taking some time to think about my purchase I'm going for a used 1100 Factory instead.

I decided circa 4K depreciation within 18 months in not worth the thrill of having the latest super naked. Still tempted by the 16 SD but I like the additional gadgets on the Tuono, you can't loose either way.

4. Stuck the carbon sports screen on my dvt and was really surprised as I get less buffeting than the original touring screen :grinning:

5. I picked one up Friday before last, couldn't stand to see the price of £10999 new any longer and they were selling out fast, I added the heated grips options though .
    Another 80 miles and it will be run in and due its service but that will have to wait now until we get some dry weather. The bike looked like a 2nd hand dog after those miles in this weather so I had to wash it :)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  6. I am of the larger frame so at 6'3" and approx. 20 stone in my gear, I find the suspension of my SDR SE a bit soft.
    I got the rear dialled in pretty well but the front springs are too soft - I can bottom the forks out with a good application of those Brembo M50s. I'll need to find some stiffer springs.

The Superduke R is softer than my Speed Triple R and Panigale R, more comfortable than both, and feels like it has better wind protection than both at below go-to-jail speeds.
    It feels like someone has taken the Speed Triple, removed 40Kgs, and added a 1299 engine. I love it!

• Like Like x 1
  7. I purchased an orange superduke in May this year after having the main bearing fail on my 2013 PP Multi. I had a trip planned to Portimao and had lost confidence in the Multi. After speaking to Gimlet I bought the SDR and I love it. I got a decent deal and added the sc stubby, sticker kit, heated grips and a dongle.
    Off to Spain etc I went, 2000 miles down and 1000 back via Santander meeting the family for a villa holiday in Portugal. I've now done 6k and the bikes been faultless. The engine is outrageous and addictive. I ride with traction control off unless it's shitty and it wheelies everywhere in the first 4 gears. I fitted satnav for the trip which means I don't think I can fit a screen. Cruising at 85 on the motorway is fine and I don't need one the rest of the time. The suspension is good and the handling great but I would like to do a couple of track days and it would benefit from some work for that. Re the deals it's a bit annoying but once the stock has moved at low prices they seem to revert back to normal mines a keeper anyway. Tank range on the trip was around 200 as I was going steady being on my own in deserted Spanish roads etc. Really comfortable averaging over 300 miler a day.

IMG_1743.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  8. That's a very good description. Its even angrier with the full Evo exhaust system and the Akra map quickens the throttle as well. I just love the furious way it revs and the torque is monstrous.
    Took me a little while to get used to how quick it steers after the Streetfighter. Typical KTM, tiniest push on the bars and it dives into the bends like it weighs nothing.
    Well worth getting the suspension set up. No doubt the OE fork springs are middle of the road like most bikes and 20 stone is calling for something stiffer. A easy fix though. There is a Powerparts race cartridge kit available but I don't know how much it costs. A lot of owners have lifted the forks in the yokes a few mm as well. I haven't because since having the set-up the front end weighting feels about right.

Speedmouse didn't we just miss each other at AMS back in the spring? Good to hear you took the plunge. The only trouble I had with mine was a leaky clutch slave. Replaced under warranty with no fuss.
    Funnily enough I was talking to my client about Portugal this week. He's toured there on his Triumph 955 and loves the place. Says they are very bike-friendly.
    I've done a 450 mile day on mine on a dawn trip to Lands End, most of it in the rain, and I doubt there is a more comfortable naked bike out there. The Powerparts seat makes it even better. Its like a sofa.

9. I think I paid £12500 for my SE, 1st name on the V5, but with heated grips, tail tidy, carbon ignition surround, carbon hugger and carbon heatshield (all from the PowerParts list).

I'm chuffed to bits with it.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  10. Nice collection of sprayers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. A sprayer for every occasion... :)

12. Are you James May?

• Like Like x 2
  13. It's a family website non of that on here .....

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Not another one. And they're still insisting there's no issue. Mental!

Those SE's look fantastic though. Love the orange brand and everything they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Been wanting an 1190 Adv to go with the Superduke for touring but a bad autumn work wise has put the mockers on that, just when KTM are giving them away as well... Bugger.

Could well end up with one of these:
    The 1290 Adv S replacement for the standard 1190. Full fat 1290 mill in the 1190 chassis with uprated suspension and electronics.
    I preferred the old 1190 to the MTS so this will be interesting. Watch out Multistrada..
    [​IMG]

16. 19" front wheel ^^^?

17. Yep. Its a KTM thing. All the Adventures have 19" fronts (unless they're the proper off-road R versions in which case they get 21"). The old 1190 was 19. Doesn't seem to effect the handling though. You can still put them on their ear and annoy sports bikes. I admit it would be nice to have a wider choice of tyres from a 17 though. But then plenty of sports bike riders with 60 profile rears have the same problem. On the other hand a 19 front lets you fit dual purpose rubber for a bit of soft-roading.

18. GS is 19" as well, did look at a 17" from Wunderlich conversion but near £2k was a bit rich. Especially with the lack of information (on the lc model..)and how abs and other electronics may be affected. In truth the handling is damned good without changing. Roadsmart 3s really work on the bike. I'm sure some of it is the head anyway.

19. The KTMs have cornering ABS as well. Don't think I'd risk changing wheel size. Is not a skinny front so there is proper road rubber available. Roadsmart IIIs would be ideal I'd have thought.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information