1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ktm Superduke R

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by panigale66, Oct 16, 2020.

1. My (ex) Gen 2 in the same general area (Scotland) a couple of years ago:
    [​IMG]

Test rode the Gen 3 - there are definite improvements over the Gen 2 (apart from looks ;)). I loved it though and am seriously tempted...

[​IMG]

#141 Stanford, Jun 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. I’d only ridden the really early 990SD back in the day and didn’t really feel what all the fuss was about. Granted many years have passed and like everything it’s evolved. Still really like the look of the Gen 1 and 2, especially the all trellis subframe. It’s not to you put them pictures side by side you realise even the main frame is totally different! Gen 3 being more RC8 inspired. I just know how the Gen 3 impressed me:) some of the route we used on test ride was a mixed bag of some free fast flowing roads. I could definitely attack the faster twisty stuff quicker than I could of done on the Panigale. Even on rippled and bumpier roads it was totally planted and compliant, Yet still pin point accurate :astonished: completely took me by surprise. Even though the villages it wasn’t particularly hard work…. Don’t often get that feeling when you just want to keep going. Not to everyone’s taste I know;) But it definitely won me over:punch:

• Like Like x 2
  3. The RR has been out for a few weeks now, all sold I believe although I have seen someone offer theirs up as they have changed their mind, it only comes with the slip on as I stated some time ago (pig ugly IMO) the full system isn't Euro compatible as is sold as a race system only.

I'm sure you will be aware that once you load the map for that system if you have the indicators connected you cannot start the bike (as it's race only) - The photos above with the system have no indicators.

However there are a few workarounds for this, all documented and there's a guy that sells a plug in module on Ebay to bypass the checks.

I'm sure the '21 model and RR (exactly the same as the '20 bar an additional heat shield on the exhaust and an orange spoke on the rear wheel) will have had all of the recalls that the '20 model suffered, biggest one being the loom chaffing - luckily mine was fine.

Stuff to note from my 8 months of ownership: -

KTM MyRide isn't great - I've gone with a Quadlock and my phone

Standard suspension is pretty good, but there isn't a vast amount of adjustment, it's all at one end or the other, if you're a 14 stone rider or less you'll be fine.

I've not had any, but there have been a lot of people suffer with MTC failure, which is a general error but it puts the bike in limp mode... 99% of the issues relate to the exhaust valve/cables requiring adjustment, simple fix is to install the healtech delete module, you can leave the valve, servo, cables in place or remove.

Like many I've had a clunking front end, which I thought was under braking, but it was actually the headstock needed nipping up, less than an hour to sort with a few basic tools.

Moving the bars to the rear position really helped on longer riders

I run race shift, which can be done out of the box without any additional rearsets etc

The seat release cable pops out of the housing occasionally, I've glued mine in place - been OK since

Save some money for rear tyres, I've done around 2.5K on mine and the rear is shot

I've recently added throttle spacers, they've transformed an already aggressive bike (depending upon rider mode) to a proper aggressive beast now!

Get yourself a Evotech rad guard as it will get hammered otherwise

If you're on a standard Gen3 and you fit a tail tidy, you cannot use the KTM panniers if you intended to go touring

I'll go as far to say it's the best road bike I've ever owned, without a shadow of a doubt!

IMG_5329.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Pick up the KTM Superduke 1290 R, 2021 model this weekend.

Frothing at the gash to get my hands on it and put some miles on her.

• Like Like x 4
  5. On holiday now abroad but thought I would write up a mini review.

Coming from a V4S to this, you realise how well put together the Ducati is in terms of brakes, suspension, quick shifter, feel etc, all out of the box without any fine tuning.

I was instantly disappointed in two things when mounting the KTM.

1. Brakes - they, to me, feel very vague, the bite feels a little weak and isn’t so confidence inspiring.

2. The quickshifter time between gear changes is so long, I almost feel like it doesn’t have one. The Ducati was immediate and gave confidence but this delay sucks. I’m hoping it can be changed?

Engine wise, top crack. Strange again going from 14k revs to like 9k, v4 back to twin but all good.

It wheelies from 2nd to 4th very easily. It’s basically a wheelie slut and that’s why I bought it.

EB0AE949-6871-4324-B7B1-6563C42C6A85.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  6. Hi Jewell the quickshifter on my SDR is sweet as a nut but I have been contacted for a gearbox shaft recall some bikes have developed a selection problem don't know if yours has been sorted from new or it might be something to look at, mine will be done with its 12 month service

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Agree about the brakes. They feel a bit wooden compared to the V4S. That said, I’m running Z04’s in the V4S so not really a fair comparison.

Quickshifter on SDR seems pretty sweet tbf. I really like the SDR for road hoonage, not too shabby on track either. Great bike :):upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  8. I find myself looking at these more and more

• Like Like x 1
  9. You never hear anything bad about them...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. That's weird about the Q/S, I'd say it's easily the best Q/S I've had on a twin cylinder bike, the V4's are a different league but that's 4 small cylinders compared to 2 650cc ones.

Brakes, they bed in fine, you can really lean on the front end.

I bet you have a grin from ear to ear though :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Chain adjusted correctly ?

can you adjust the cut timing in the dash ?

12. You can't alter the delay no.

@Jewell is it set on the short shift or the standard shift? I found the short shift didn't seem to engage as well, probably because you need more force to move the spline to change gear, I went back to the long shift but in the race shift configuration which you can do out of the box.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Get one!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Too few for anyone to bother complaining. An acquaitance of mine had a cam bearing disintegrate, end result, cheaper to get another engine than rebuild. Several owners at the club, not all happy with the quality and finish ...... just like a Ducati :D Andy

• Like Like x 1
  15. I think the finish is pretty solid tbf :upyeah: That's the first I'm hearing of engine failure. There's always going to be the odd failure with any tuned n/a engine.

16. I think the quality and reliability has improved a lot over the years. A mate of mine had a KTM something or other and was on first name terms with the AA recovery guy in his first year of ownership:)

17. I did notice one or two RC8's going 'bang' when they were all the rage at euro trackday gigs. Put me off them. But that was ~2009 I think....

18. Gearboxes are made out of cheese

19. Wot? On the SDR? Best get some red wine, oat cakes and crackers then....

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. Tbh I think you can pick faults with almost all bikes and I'm sure everyone has had experience of a dodgy bike that has put them off that model/make of bike for ever.

I think the SDR's are bloody lovely and I wouldn't say no to owning one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information