1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laid Up Insurance - Feb 2018 Quotes...

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by Exige, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Cheers Stu for starting this thread.... three places I tried have been more expensive for laid-up cover than to have it on the road!!! WTF?
    Just tried FJ... £138 for laid-up with 15K fixed price payout should the worst happen.

Ducati insurance were going to add a premium onto my existing bike policy, for a windscreen replacement on my car which happened back in feb. Stone chip lengthened to the point where it was unsafe so they did it for the £50 windscreen cover.

Turns out, if I had put a claim in with Ducati Insurance in the past 7 months they probably wouldn't have paid out due to my not notifying them of this windscreen replacement... I didn't even consider it as something related I needed to mention to a motorcycle insurance company.

#21 flatairbag, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    • WTF WTF x 1
  2. Amendment to post #001 :

I have just spend a few weeks comparing the market having put together a detailed Power Point showing my extensive security. Note: none of the bikes have trackers or alarms fitted and none are shackled to the floor. They are kept either in a Log Cabin Garage (insurer listed as such and not a shed like Creamies) or in the bike room in the house.
    Cover is Fire / Theft / Malicious and Accidental Damage including transit to shows / workshops etc and agreed value totaling £105,000.

Big thanks to Footman James and Be Moto for spending the time to quote and both coming up with equally competitive quotes: £760 and £765 respectively.

This was for the following:

999R
    999R Fila
    1098R
    1098R Bayliss
    996R
    ZXR750K1 limited homologation bike
    GSX-R750LE limited homologation bike

I went with Footman James as there quote had lower excess between £50 and £200 where Be Moto were at £500 for each bike.

Anyone needing laid up insurance give both these a try - couldn't find anyone else anywhere near...

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. Just a yearly update - renewal came through similar to last year at £790 for the same bikes.

I was a little loathed to pay it again even though it was the best deal last year and got to wondering yet again about the possibility of insuring the bikes as Objet d'art items - like paintings and sculptures.

I had got wind of a friendly Chief Underwriter at one of the Major Insurers who had insured a Classic Ferrari as such, so I tracked him down to see if I could insure the bikes in the house (Bike Room) and the bikes not on the road in the garage (Log Cabin :yum) as an Art Collection.

It looks like I have got somewhere! If I crack it I will start a new thread regarding Objet d'art Insurance for Motorcycles - watch this space :eyes:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Following on from this I have today taken out Objet d'art insurance with Hiscox for part of my collection. The underwriter agreed to insure a selection of the bikes in the house and in the Log Cabin Garage under their Automobilia Policy.
    When I have more time (next week) I will start a thread with the details and contacts at Hiscox.
    I have insured a value of £120,000 for £510 which is roughly half the price of the best Laid Up Motor Vehicle Policies :blush:

5. [​IMG]

6. It was worded especially for you and your foisty damp coach house :p

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information