1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 R Late 2016 R Vs 2018 S

Discussion in 'Monster' started by dubcat, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Mrs H and me just going through this thread :laughing::laughing::laughing:
    I’m fooked now... :astonished:

• WTF WTF x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hope you enjoy the Monster as much as I have enjoyed mine........Which I think i have just decided to sell

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ah how come?

4. Had it for 3 years, PCP is up so time for a change.........Just not sure what to get

• Like Like x 1
  5. I have the "R" with an Annitori QS. Forged Wheels, Steering Dampener, Front Mini-Fairing. No regrets.
    Some mentioned suspension differences between the "R" and the "S".
    Other than the SD and titanium nitride-coated forks, please explain how the Ohlins on both models are any different?

#45 DarR, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    • Love You Love You x 1
  6. Both the S and R feature Ohlins fully adjustable suspension but the suspension in the R is higher front and rear, meaning the seat height on the R is also higher, 830mm as opposed to the 785-810mm seat height of the S. It goes without saying, these suspension changes also affect the wheelbase, which is 2mm shorter on the R, at 1509mm. Trail is also shorter by 4mm on the R, down to 89mm, while rake remains the same 24.3 degrees on both bikes.

https://www.visordown.com/features/general/ducati-monster-1200s-versus-1200r

7. That Visordown link is a comparison between the R & old S, not the new S released in 2017. However the R remains taller on its suspension for improved ground clearance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. About the 1200R specifically:
    I have no regrets buying the "R". It has more exclusive features than the current "S".
    The only thing missing was a Quickshifter which was solved with an Annitori QS Pro unit.

9. What did the R cost you in the end ? ( approx.) , there's been one in Ducati Manchester for a bit , but its crazy money for what it is...

10. As an end of season deal in late 2016, I paid $18,300 CAN plus 13 % tax and including DP reservoirs and carbon tank guard both installed.
    However, this is not comparable with other country's pricing as the FX rate differential is not indicative of purchasing power parity.
    The answer to your question would be best served by a UK resident.

#50 DarR, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  11. I paid £11k for a 2016 800 mile monster r - but I think I got a decent trade in price for old bike too. Best purchase I've ever made. Love it. Really glad I got the R too - feels a little more exclusive. Let's face it - either the S or the R are more bike than my skill level but it still feels a bit special having the R.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Every time i ride mine i just love it more,on last Saturdays ride there is a second gear ,uphill corner,exiting the corner and
    the front starts lifting, up into third and wind it on ,fronts starts lifting again ,bloody love it !

• Like Like x 2
  13. Those specs may reflect the pre-2017 Monster "S" which has changed since then.
    The "R" is unchanged from 2016.
    Consequently, the current (2019) numbers are as follows:
    Rake and Trail are 24.3 and 89.0 mm for the "R".
    Rake and Trail are 23.3 and 86.5 mm for the "S".
    The wheeelbase of the "R" is longer at 1509 mm than the "S" at 1,485 mm.
    This combined with an Ohlins steering damper makes the "R" less wheelie prone and more stable at speed than the "S".
    Moreover, the lighter forged Marchesini wheels on the "R" should more than compensate for this in terms of handling agility.
    The "R" also produces 5HP more which some or all is attributable to it's larger 58 mm headers.

#53 DarR, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  14. Jings, yer love to blow yer trumpet..........constantly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I enjoy sharing about things I know or would like to know, and sit on my hands for things I don't.
    If you don't care about my posts then click on my username and select "Ignore". You will no longer see them. Problem solved.
    BTW, I also respect every post, even those written in a foreign language.

#55 DarR, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information