1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learn By Error Rant

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Arquebus, Jan 24, 2020.

1. I worked in this game for +10 years...
    Most engineer codes get changed to a district or company wide code. It's a requirement of the standards council (various).
    There is nearly always a backdoor if the code is lost or unknown. Pm me details for your system.
    I would change the outside siren/bell battery every 5 years, if lead based and 7 years on the indoor.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Always have my garage alarmed. It went off at ~02.00 a few months back....
    I said to the Mrs ‘Is that mine??’ ‘Yep’ she quickly replied.... ‘The cnuts are after my bike’ I thought. So I shot down the stairs and grabbed a 12” kitchen knife and shot out to the garage. No one. All quiet.
    I reset my blaring alarm and checked inside the garage. A mu hassive daddy long legs was prancing along the walls and had obviously gone across a sensor. The clumsy long legged fucker! Phew!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. That was one particularly determined slug :eek: You have to take your hat off to that kind of task focus :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. But that is how you fit a dishwasher? There is a hole either side inside the door recess about 3/4's of the way that goes through the cabinet to screw into the adjacent walls of the kitchen cabinets, there are also two holes along the top to screw up into the underside of the worktop. ;)

The cowboys are the plumbers and electricians who then come along afterwards and run their cables and pipes under the appliance but IN FRONT of the back feet! :mad::laughing:

image.png

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. or fit the socket immediately behind it so it wont go into its spot.. despite being told it needs to be on a spur somewhere else...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. what the bathroom fitter did wrong was allow the cheap arse client to talk him into fitting or supplying a panel that aint fit for purpose ... so so so so many times have i done jobs where the client has ignored all advice and bought shit components, thinking they are saving money.. as one of the many honest tradesmen out there, i try to work with what ive been given and even lose money rather than make a scene, but some times, unfortunately, you have to compromise ya standards to in order to break even when all advice is ignored...

7. ahh you are missing the key detail here - the idiot in question didn’t use the holes - he made his own - with the screws - through the side of the dishwasher - ruining said dishwasher.

The list of things the same guy did to a work colleague’s brand new kitchen is so long I can’t be bothered to list - it cost him a fortune to have put right.

8. Chizel

You are allowing your personal feelings to cloud your judgement and are making the case that all tradesman are infallible and it’s always the client’s fault regardless.

There is no circumstance where something as basic as not following the correct steps to fit a bath can be attributed to a client making the decision to purchase it. And I really can’t believe that anyone could argue that fact.

As the ‘Cheap arse client’ in question here are my parents, you are also being incredibly rude.

They paid a local company well over the odds for the complete refit of a bathroom. The fitter in question was not involved in the sale or any decisions. He was simply sent by a company to do a job - a job he had neither the experience or skills to complete properly and to a good standard.

‘Another highlight of this ‘tradesman’s’ work, aside from the shoddy tiling, was to cut the worktop and front panel of a semi-recessed sink so badly that new ones had to be supplied.

My parents are the sort to not want to cause a fuss, and as such didn’t complain about these issues and a myriad of other small ones that jump out at me every time I visit and use said bathroom.

The company in question is no longer trading.

9. you are correct.. i am allowing my personal feelings based on previous experiences to cloud my judgment in regards to how i should speak. i in no way wished to be disrespectful to yourself or your parents. if it came across like that was my intention, i sincerely apologise.

• Thanks Thanks x 1

10. I’ve seen people fit washing machines this way too, screwed though from the adjacent cupboard With a 3inch wood screw to keep it stable rather than use the correct base and feet fitting kit that comes with the washing machine. First time the machine tried to balance the load the said screw punctured a hole straight through the side of the tank. On a personal note I found it most amusing as the customer didn’t stop ranting about how the appliance wasn’t fit for purpose and it had leaked and ruined her new wooden flooring and who was going to pay for it, she went quiet when I told her why it had leaked and the fact that screwing the washing machine to the adjacent cabinet is not covered under the manufacturers guarantee.......

• Like Like x 1
  11. [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Thanks for that very gracious apology. I would like to state that I have every respect for the trades, I’m not in any way trying to slag them off - I just wish there was a guaranteed way of getting good ones!

• Like Like x 2
  13. it's easy and understandable that you could take it personally chizel, you are becoming a rare breed mate, everyone can only speak as they find and when it comes to current standards I won't even start on the subject of not only tradesman but anyone you might engage to do work for you. It seems that the clear majority just don't give a fuck anymore, a sign of the times.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I’m in no way defending the tradesperson in question, and he maybe a shower of shite (excuse the pun) but I wouldn’t be surprised if it turned out they were a subcontractor for the supplier of the bathroom suit, paid a cheap “set” price by them and after years of being lulled in by the promise of lots of work, has let his standards go by the way of small cut he gets of the install price......downwards?

My brother in law owns a car repair and restoration shop, he used to do insurance work for the big insurance companies but they pay so little in the end he had to walk away from the work because the only way you can make money at it is by volume and fast turnaround and he wasn’t prepared to let his standard drop to that level.

the thing is most people don’t know that the insurance company can’t insist on who repairs your car, they may make you pay an increased excess but they can’t demand it. I’d rather that than let my car be shipped off across country to somewhere else, be botched together and come back with an orange peel finish in a different colour to the rest of the car. Most people don’t notice or care, especially now with a pcp deal that they are going to give back anyway, but I wouldn’t stand for it.

15. And now my boiler has gone into lock-out.......

Oh well, light the woodburners again.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  16. Mine is an Accenta 8 (from before Honeywell got them).

Seems to be working OK now......tested it this morning..........

......when 'someone not in this room' forgot to turn it off.

#36 Arquebus, Jan 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  17. ADE, low cost/large volume manufacturer based near Liverpool back in the 80's / 90's.
    They made the first sub £30 control panel when everyone else was £100+
    Did what is said on the tin.
    Most panels have individual tampers per circuit, to make it easier to fault find.

18. Change the FID/ Spark thingy.... flame sensor... nearly always that or the lead.... obviously get a professional to do it. ;)

19. Sounds pretty much like ducati dealers and any other vehicle brand dealers. Learn and DIY people!

Just one recent of the many of my experiences along this journey among extortion:

Out of warranty bike diagnostic scanner and clear faults:
    Ducati Dealer: £150.00
    Independent garage: £28.00

Guess what, bike is running so smooth that I actually gave up the idea of setting it on fire in front a ducati dealer!

Let's learn and share! And to the hell with these so called "experts". Experts my arse!.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Have now learned how to do most jobs on our home alarm system for myself after the "professional" fitted new batteries to the control panel and wireless outside bell box and it kept going off within an hour of going to bed.
    Checked the zone list and the twat had programmed my bedroom as a perimeter zone on the "home" setting.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information