1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Light, Compact, Essential And Fun: Ducati Presents The New Monster

Discussion in 'Front Page Articles' started by El Toro, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Not surprising given the move of the Ducati sports bikes to a more generic Jap design. But this is soul less, has no Ducati identity and is certainly monstrous, but not a Monster. A major own goal for Ducati in my opinion.

2. It is tedious to look at, I don't mind losing the ssa IMO that was bad engineering from the start. But if I wanted a clone middleweight bike I would not want to spend Ducati money. After all the MT07 is a grin fest and the SV650 has history and is very tunablle

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Because of the looks? Has anyone watched the video? Looks an extremely capable bike admittedly rode by very capable riders but it’s very capable...I’m presuming the people who don’t approve are upset at the looks alone? So what exactly is it the monster buyers are after? A pose? A trip out in the city for a lattee? No wonder Ducati owners get a bad press ... it’s a motorbike and Ducati have developed an extremely capable bike, maybe take one round a few bends lean it over accelerate swiftly out of the bend, maybe brake fairly hard occasionally? Just don’t spill the coffee.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ducati was a name for timeless style ,poise ,being a bit different ,sought after ,still being beautiful years down the line ,the new monster is none of that ,i liken it to the advacado ,pampas bathroom ,trendy at the time but shit now ,give this five years and it will look dated ,might as well buy a MT 09 or a another generic copy .

5. Some Ducati’s have not aged well at all, be some bargain 2021 monsters available in 2023 me thinks

6. It maybe a very capable and evolved bike. Better in every way in terms of performance and handling than its predecessor. The engineers have, undeniably, done a done a fantastic job.

However it's been severely let gown by the design department IMHO. Are mentioned above, there seems to have been a paradigm shift on styling. This is an Italian motorcycle, that's a significant part of what they're about; daring and different, a certain panache and passion. Sure, inovitive engineering is hugely relevant but then the other marques have also made massive inroads there and, certainly from the land of the rising sun, are priced far more competitively. The label 'Made in Italy' and the Ducati badge just isn't enough on its own...

The first Ducati I ever rode was an original 600 Monster. My cousin was working in Latvia and my girlfriend and I spent three weeks there. His bike was, for security, parked in the British Embassy garage alongside the ambassadors Harley. Was told by my cousin to bring riding kit. We had use of the bike for the duration of our stay, incredibly memorable. For a country emerging from years of Soviet oppression the Monster was by far the most exotic bike we saw. Cousin instructed us to park close to the attendants hut in car parks and bung a few Lats into the occupant's palm on arrival and point at the bike and then two fingers at my eyes. One day we went some distance to see some of the palaces well away from Riga, we were stopped by the police five times. Four times so they could just have a look at the Monster, the last time for speeding and a sketchy on the spot fine. Ever since I've fancied a Monster in my garage as a 2nd bike. Should that happen, test rode a 1200s and had an 821 as a courtesy bike a few months back, I very much doubt it'll be one of these, rather one of the recent models.

#86 Bumpkin, Dec 10, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  7. Going to disagree with the general opinion. Not sure about the looks but like the spec - reasonable power, low weight and ok seat height. Looks like it should be great to ride but it is expensive compared to similar bikes and not seen any estimate of servicing costs.

8. one of the big services is at big mileage...it wasn’t long ago services were 4,000 then 7,500 on the 848 series bikes big difference...I like it a lot

9. To be honest in my opinion early Japanese bikes looked vastly better than early Ducati’s, ducati made some pig ugly bikes but the Japanese bikes looked cool often with the 4 pipes out the back and big exposed engine ...ducati got the 888, 851, 916 and god knows what else right but a lot looked like parts bin specials

So the new one looks different to traditional Italian but is it not just change? Has anyone seen this bike in person? There will be a significant improvement over the pictures and no argument over its ability

The v4 I really did not like but it’s grown on me and that bike is not exactly traditional ducati styling indeed it resembled a vfr but now part of the furniture and appreciated for what it is ...a slight change of direction or rather a big change but it’s no longer unwelcome to the degree it was a couple of years back

10. Fixed
    56A6C570-CFCF-491D-866C-1999F9FBB7A5.png

• Like Like x 4
  11. nice... but times move on or you get left behind, the next generation don’t care about trellis frames and old style tanks....we liked them as that’s what was given, now what’s on offer is different it’s just moving on unfortunately but inevitably

12. The MT 09 has been mentioned and to be fair it is a good motorcycle. I seriously considered a nearly new SP version but was swayed by the 1200r as it seems, to me anyway, a bit special. And that is the point of owning a Ducati. Big twin and a bit special. It is therefore a shame that at first look the new Monster just does not cut the mustard in the special department.
    The new one just looks very generic. We used to describe Jap bikes as UJM. Same thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Top bike looks lovely , just shows how crappy the new design looks ,you can be sure it will be great to ride ,but for me it has to stir the soul first .

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. It's a Yamaha MT-07 but in red.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Like the exhaust, just like my old SRX 600, always thought it was a smart way to do it until replaced by a normal open pipe!

16. Bonjourno!

I test rode new model late last year. Fun bike, as advertised, had amazing front breaks (Brembo master)and went like stink, (-18KG) having just come off a CB500F (great bike! (+) Superb handling & engine breaking for twistys, (-) rattles like F*ck over 7500 rpm). The handling was superb for a town commuting bike, light and responsive. I then took it on the nationals and twistys were the bike showed it true colours. That being, the handling, unsolid and a flighty responsive, truth be told scared the sh*t out of me when cornering hard. I weigh 70+ KG so an average rider size, so it wasn't the front suspension which is unadjustable anyway from stock, and a steering damper would have been a waste of money, as no shimmying or wobbles on front end. I next tried a 2020 821, the bike is heavier, but felt so much more solid in turning into a corner at speed and more stable and a better build feel it went confidently in the pointed direction of the rider, inspired a lot more confidence than the new model. Needless to say purchased the 2020. Don't know if anyone felt the same or remedied the issue I experienced?

#96 Litigator1, Mar 8, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2022
  17. Welcome. Why don’t you introduce yourself properly in the newbies section too please?

18. I suppose being on it means you can't see much of it so that's an improvement.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Ha! Yes, the new monster is not the prettiest bike.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information