1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lighter, smoother, quieter clutch - £15. :)

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by 470four, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Still undecided on this. Seems that there is inconsistent results. Did anyone soak them in oil before installing them?

2. That's a good point. I didn't, and had problems with the plates sticking right from the off.

3. 1500m on my gs850 plates now on my 996, yes open clutch cover, no put them in dry, make sure you clean your friction plates good and proper, kev

4. Cheers all. Have had them in my watch list on ebay for a good while now. Might just go for it. Kev, what method did you use to clean them?

5. I think I've still got my cheapo clutch plates, I might try soaking them and reinstalling. They only seem to stick in traffic when the bike's getting hot, so a little lube should do the trick.

6. I use the Newfren plates. Made in Italy so possibly oem. Friction plates only from Motorize gmbh on ebay. 8 plates, so extra plate for quiet clutch mod. They're about £95 inc p+p but every few weeks they discount them with 10 or 20% off.

7. Fig, rubbing lithium grease into the standard plates, leaving somewhere warm overnight, then removing said grease, is a well accepted method of smoothing the standard clutch, done this on mine with no downside.

Might be worth a go on the cheapos?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I bought a set of these cheap alloy plates a few weeks ago.

Soaked them in oil before fitting.

Replaced the standard friction plates with same number/ order of alloys.

Started bike and was delighted with the reduction of noise.

Tried riding it and quickly found it impossible to select neutral at standstill with engine running but also found the bike felt a huge amount smoother on the road so decided to experiment by replacing alloy plates with oem, one by one until a compromise was reached.

Sadly I'm down to only the top friction plate in the stack being alloy, but I can now select neutral when I want and do still have a significant reduction in noise and to a lesser extent vibration.

Have to stress that I've only been doing the 15 mile or so motorway loop round Cardiff as events have conspired against a proper ride but I don't really expect any change when I do get a free weekend.

I also expect the benefits to erode as rapidly as the alloy ears on the plate but then I've got 8 spares!

Cheers all

Grunt

9. just cleaned them up with emery cloth or fine rubbing down paper will do, pretty sure im running one less friction plate, one less clutch plate, that makes the stack high right, also filed edges of clutch plates to make sure they slid up and down basket smoothly, but I used a new alloy clutch basket with the steel band round, might well be fine on original basket, but was a tad tight on mine, been riding regularly in the 30 degree heat the last few weeks and fine and 1500 miles on them now cant be bad for 28 quid, so bought some more ; )

10. That's a new one on me; I'll give it a go.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I tried some of the cheap g650 ebay alloy plates... fired it up and had no probs for my first test run of 5 miles , then left the bike stood for 2 months and all the plates had stuck together, after I prized em all apart I found all the plain steel plates had rusted very badly. They are maybe ok for track daying but defo not the same quality as std.

12. Regarding these plates, would they be compatible with a 93 900 SS?? It doesn't look like they specify the part fitting a 1993, but are these dry clutches compatible throughout the range/years?

Cheers

13. According to the parts guy at JHP Coventry, they are the same clutch right up to and including the 1098. This, of course, excludes any slipper clutch options or any other mullarkey. The standard dry clutches are all the same :upyeah:

14. Cheers, think I'll give them a bash!

15. just clocked up 2000 miles on my £28 plates this year, have done 300 miles this weekend, all ok with me, kev

16. I think the £28 plates are now £40 approx.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. ouch! glad I bought another spare set 2 months back, believe Suzuki gs650 750 850 are the same

18. And just to confirm Kev - you are still using the OEM steel plates with the Suzuki friction plates?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information