1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Lights

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Beef, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Headlight fuse keeps blowing Still in spain (heading to port) so don’t have loads of tools, is there a relay that could be causing this?

2. Do you have a wire/bridge between two relays in the left tray under the handlebar? This allows you to use the Hi-beam without shutting off the low ones. If you have it, maybe it could have a bit of oxidation or some water inside the pins. Check it if you didn't do it already. If not, I don't remember if the 3 relays are really identical, sorry, but you could try to swap them to check if something changes. I'll post something else if it come to my mind.

• Like Like x 1
  3. No, all standard

4. yes, all 3 relays under the trim on the left are the same type and rating.

Imo it is unlikely to be a relay that is causing the fuse to blow though.
    Assuming its low beam that is blowing, and your bike is pre-led headlights, I would question whether one of your bulbs is on the way out (broken filament can bridge the legs and draw too much current).

Try disconnecting the low beam bulb for just one side at a time to see if that changes anything.

You could also try swapping your high beam lamps with the low beam ones (I mean physically swap over the lamps, not swap the connectors).

• Like Like x 2
  5. OK, bought 4 fuses from a garage for €10 (robbing bastards!) Now at port, had to borrow some Allen keys to get to dipped bulbs.
    LH bulb had gone, disconnected it, fitted high quality fuse and main beam fine but no dipped - are they wired in series?!

6. Sounds like the relay, I had the same problem, mine kept blowing the dipped so replaced the relay and all is fine now. Bought a relay from E bay much cheaper than a Ducati part which is not made by them anyhow. It's the first relay in the left hand bank nearest the fuel tank.

• Like Like x 1
  7. No, the lights are not wired in series, they are in parallel, but both fed by the same relay, One relay for high beam, one for low beam.
    I'm pretty sure they are all on the one fuse for both high and low beam too.

You could try swapping the relays over, see if the fault swaps to high beam (goes with the relay).

Peter, interesting. I've heard of these relays failing, but not where it was blowing the lamp / fuse.

8. Yes I went through blowing bulbs on the low beam side for a while, I just thought it must be the Osram nightbreakers that I was using so switched back to Halfords uprated versions which still blew in short time, I mean about 2 months or nearabouts. Then I noticed I lost my headlights coming back from Box Hill so got home and checked the bulbs by swapping one out from the high beam circuit and nothing, so I rarely use the high beam so I toggled the switch and they flickered then went off, so I heard the relay buzzing away so guessed it was that.
    Got a new one here
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Micr...104877&hash=item3b0fa22039:g:~F8AAOSwomVbExPs

• Like Like x 1
  9. Now cured fingers crossed.:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks very much PeterT, ordered a couple.
    Back from trip now, ferry was delayed due to bad weather and it was almost dark by the time I got through customs. I have left the bike at my parents in Poole as they were dog sitting and wife left car there. I didn't fancy riding any further blinding people and was too tired to start swapping bits over (and at work today!) Not only that but I don't think the rear tyre is far from canvas showing through!! o_O

I may just look into LED upgrade............

11. So, the ferry was meant to dock at 1700 last Thurs, it was delayed due to bad weather and a passenger being air lifted from the boat! By the time we cleared customs and the road closures in Plymouth town centre it was gone 1930 so I had to ride to Poole with main beams on. I did adjust them down as far as possible but I still got the odd flash - and the dark patch from front of bike to beam on road was off putting on the darker roads!!
    I left the bike at my folks and drove home to Reading so not had chance to investigate issue further. I have got a couple of relays from the link (thanks again PeterT) So just need to fit the bulb and try again...... I'll keep you posted!

• Like Like x 1
  12. That would be great, John I will Thanks.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information