1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightweight Wheels

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by simmytt, Apr 27, 2014.

1. I think i want to put a set of lightweight wheels on my 899,i have been doing a bit of research and cannot see any negatives,i have ruled out carbon rims because of cost and our potholed roads,also magnesium seem to be a bit to pricey,so i am looking at forged ali wheels,i would like to keep with marchesini wheels because of there Ducati links.Would i really notice the difference or am i just wasting my money ?

2. you would with the carbon rims and they work well on uk roads had them on a previous multistrada and would like again

3. Would it be sacrilege to paint carbon rims ?,trying to keep off the carbon it becomes a addiction and i dont want to start.

4. I'd weigh the standard wheels and assess the difference before committing. Modern wheels are pretty light nowadays.

5. Do some more research and relook at carbon.
    Its incredibly strong.

My blackstonetecs have dot and tuv approval..

......so the problem is ?

6. Eat less pies Valentino ;)

7. The Weight savings is approx. 4-6 lbs per rim.
    That comes out to: 16oz. x 5 lbs = 80 oz Weight savings on average per Rim
    It's huge when you take into account that 1 oz. on 17" Rims is = to 25 lbs of rotating mass at 100mph.
    So, if we do the math, 80 oz. x 25 = 2000 lbs of rotating mass is removed from your rims.
    That is Huge.
    Think how much faster your bike can accelerate without that weight.
    And how much faster your top end is, without that weight

Copied and pasted from another site,the 899 rear rim is a porker @9kg

8. Problem is ££££££ and i like gold rims.
    I am trying 16lbs so far,i can now do up my leathers with my back protector in:upyeah:

9. I would have thought the aftermarket forged marchesini alloy wheels will be better than standard 899 wheels for sure.They should make the bike more agile as I presume they are less weight than standard.Plus will look much nicer lets face it.

You will feel more of a difference with modern forged magnesium marchesini wheels or carbon wheels but quite a bit more money than aftermarket alloy ones.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Maths!!!!!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Don't know if the 899 is the same wheel as the 1199 Pani but the 1199 wheels weigh next to nothing as do the wheels on my PP which is the 1199 wheel n a lot cheaper than carbon ones. Altho carbon is our friend.

#11 JimVee, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  12. Fit lighter tyres

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. will they last as long........:Banghead:

14. Depends on the psi you pump in em...:Bookworm:

15. Ha - that reminds me of when tyre shops were charging for helium in Tyres claiming it improved mpg!

16. Sure that wasn't nitrogen...helium gives you wings ;)

17. The wheels on the PP and most of the Pani range are lightweight forged rims,the 899 rims are very heavy compared to them its approx 9kg,i believe this is one of the heaviest rims on a modern sports bike.

18. Is that 9kg with tyre and discs?

19. Thought that was red bull?

20. 9kg difference?!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information