1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lithium Batteries

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Cockneyboy1963, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Also the SL, Anniversario, FE, and the new 959 Corse I believe. I expect they know what they are doing, but more importantly, if the OE battery fails the insurance would have to pay.

2. I think some people are not reading properly and then commenting :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I have a Lithium in my phone, laptop and my bike. Should I change them all for lead acid just in case they all catch fire?

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  4. Yes, please.

Better safe than sorry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yes.... if any of them are Samsung!

6. There's another one who blatantly ignores what's been said - but do listen to Loz, he knows stuff :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. On here? Never :eek: Anyway, to answer your question...........Sausages. :thinkingface:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Chipolatas? :thinkingface: Thanks for answering anyhoo

9. The 450 single bevel I recently bought came with a lithium battery which a previous owner had fitted. But it is a 6 volt system, and there is no electric starter, so the current is pretty low - lights and ignition only. I really don't think it is likely to catch fire.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I have lithium in couple of my bikes, oldest one is 4 years.
    No issues so far.
    However there is a small chance of fire with lithium batteries.
    If you decide to go lithium get one with internal cell balancer.

rgv 1995-lithium 4 years old,no issues
    rs250 2001- lithium 1 year old, no issues
    r1 2015 - lithium, 2 years old, no issues
    exc tpi 2018 lithium, 20days old OEM equipment
    Non lithium bikes.
    998s fe 2004 do not want to risk a fire with the old ducati electrics although I run @Exige cables, since fitted I gained 10hp more power and better mpg :laughing::laughing:
    vtr sp2 2004 as above...famous for rectifier issues.
    Up to you if you wish to risk a fire for 2kg saving and less charging.
    Newer bikes have a more stable charging system so probably less change of overcharge..although I am using lithium even in my 23 years old 2t.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  11. Dam, I'll have to down grade my advert 90hp now :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Wow......
    I just love all the "no issues" comments. I'd pefer the more accurate "blissfully unaware of any issues".

For all those who have no issues with Lithium batteries on their (where the oem should be Lead acid) bikes please get a friend to rev them to 3/4 of the maximum rpm. After about 10 minutes (to ensure the battery is fully charged) and with no electrical loads like lights, sat nav chargers, heated grips etc switched on;
    place your fingers against the regulator (metal, normally has fins on it like an air cooled engine). If you can hold them there for 5 seconds or more then you don't have an over heating regulator issue.
    If you can smell burning bacon you have moved to the next stage of competency .
    880px-Competence_Hierarchy_adapted_from_Noel_Burch_by_Igor_Kokcharov.svg.png

13. I've a dry sense of humor and at least one stalker/ doppelganger in Finland.

#73 AirCon, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. I’ve had a mosfet reg/rectifier and shorai ( lithium iron) battery fitted to the s4rs for 4 years....
    just ordered a sprinkler system for the garage! o_O

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. How's yer fingers?

16. That's the wurst...

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  17. I asked you to perform a test to move you up the pyramid of competency.
    Did you perform this test or do you prefer to stay at the base?

18. Thread hijacked!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Is this still going, it’s only a battery thread.
    I use more batteries in the AA and AAA varieties that should be worthy of a long thread like this,o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information