1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lithium Batteries

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Cockneyboy1963, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Are you a lil pink bunny? :eek:

2. Knowing him they'll be D cells.

3. I remember those meetings.

4. Aircon Alcoholics Anonymous

5. I'm a drunk, an alcoholic wants to stop drinking.

6. I've ordered some lithium batteries for some of my gadgets - iPod dock remote, etc.

However I am going to bin them when they arrive, thanks to not reading the posts in this thread. Thanks everyone who contributed.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. If they were designed to take them, like my DECT phones then you should use them. NiCad has a much lower cell voltage and typically is not suitable for many applications.

8. Unwise Words Mate :)

9. Wise Words Mate :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. No worries, mate. No lithium batteries for me!

So true but my wisdom has come with a price.

Worth posting twice, quite agree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Electrics is not my best subject but would it not be possible to install some sort of over-voltage protection device/circuitry between the reg/rec and a lithium battery.
    Ok, I know that kinda sounds like two reg/recs, or at least doubling up of the "reg" part, but I'm thinking more of an "isolator" than a "regulator" .. to sidestep the fire risk.
    I've pondered this for a year or two, but lack the knowledge to progress the notion.
    A mate once suggested that a simple zener diode might do the trick, but I have nothing like enough electrical competence to properly assess this or any other ideas.

In the meantime I'm nervously continuing to use Magneti Marelli lithium batteries on both my bikes (750 monster and converted Honda Dominator).
    On the monster it represents a massive 5.5kg weight saving (which, as an 11.5-stoner on a mere 750, I cannot ignore) and on the Dommie its a space/packaging issue essential to the street-scrambler conversion.

There seems to be lots of good knowledge around this thread so I thought it worth asking.

• Like Like x 1
  12. The excess power either mustn't be generated or it must be dissipated.
    Some sort of secondary regulation and control device would need a sizeable heat sink, mounted such that it could work effectively without getting too hot.

Has any of the "my bikes ok crowd" actually tested the temperature of the regulator?

#92 AirCon, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2018
  13. a simple voltmeter monitor makes it...

14. So, knowing my V4 has a LiFePO battery fitted (like the Panigale FE and Panigale 1299SL) I asked if the generator and/or rectifier/regulator were any different. Aside from the current generation regulator/rectifier being a Mosfet for all the current bikes, the answer was ....... Diavel, X-Diavel, Multistrada, 1199/1299/V4 Panigale all have the same part numbers. Go figure ! Andy

#94 Android853sp, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. 6 pages of my bat's smaller than your bat. .
    are we there yet? To the experts out there, you've given what you believe to sound advice and provided the relevant evidence to back up you theory...
    to those using the batteries anyway, you have been warned...
    to the new comers asking the same old questions, start at the beginnings of this thread and all will be nearly almost probably maybe revealed...
    time to move on...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Awwww .. 1 more question...
    Ive just bought one for my 2017 959... theyre putting them on the corse models so i assume it wont have the issues above...
    Ps.
    Sorry for starting it over again lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  17. lol, at least yours is a new question..
    I think....

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. see android's post a few above.. He didn't mention 959 but wouldn't imagine it would differ?

19. No it's not a new question, it has been covered many times as Andy will be aware :)
    Ducati offer Litium Batteries as an upgrade on these bikes (or did) so it falls into the designed for bracket.
    Thanks for listening (listen it could be good, you never know until you try it)
    o_O

Do Not Sell My Personal Information