1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lithium Battery Chargers

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Regenwulf, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Don't worry, I've done a search and am not going to ask if lithium batteries are a good idea...

I do have a different dumb-arse question(s) however...

I've just ordered some Skyrich batteries from Motorapido to retro fit to my Hyper 796 and Panigale 1199. I was assured that there would be no problem with either (I promise to report back to confess when they both ignite into huge flames).

I gather that I need a lithium specific charger. I'm inclined to get a CTek one as I've got their normal charger models and am happy with them. However, Skyrich do their own version and can also be used via a DDA cable which I'm told both of my bikes can use. For the Hyper I have no idea where this is, but the pani I think has this under the rear seat cowl. I've currently got a termi upmap pen plugged in there, so assuming I'm in the correct area, do I just unplug the termi pen, charge, and then replace? This won't mess with my maps presumably?

Does anyone else have the Skyrich charger, and if so is it better than the equivalent CTek one? From online pictures it looks pretty basic and doesn't seem to come with the type of harness you could otherwise just leave attached to the battery for easy attachment, like the CTek (if you're not using the DDA).

Any thoughts or experiences?

Cheers,

RW

2. I have 2, 1 on the V4 and 1 on the Diavel. Simple is good, plug, play and walk away. I prefer to use the charging lead that attaches to the battery as I've wired up the splatnav to take its power ditect from the battery and the 2 pin plug/socket arrangement works really well. Andy

3. Lithium specific chargers have maintenance modes and other features which are good for those who only ride between May and September

I bought a NOCO charger from Halfords. It will charge every kind of battery including Lithium. It doesn't have the maintenance feature of a dedicated charger though

4. I use an iMAX charger that will balance charge lithium batteries and will also charge Pb and Nicad. It connects to the balance charge port of a Shorai battery.

#4 Derek, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. No one has ever said they were no good, only in the wrong application :eyes: where there is a chance they will burn certain older Ducati's to the ground by frying the Rec / Rec :bomb:
    I will be using one on my project bike :blush:

6. CTek is a very well made charger and I've only ever heard good things about them.

7. Thats a brilliant find. Great price. Especially as it has the shorai connector aswell. :upyeah:

#7 Itsamonster, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  8. this is shocking news Elsie!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. About the burning Ducati's - indeed :eek::motorcycleduc::bomb:

10. and a total myth.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Crap Crap x 1
  11. W@nk3r..... :eyes:
    I've got the FLIR images.... and witnessed the said bike / fire.

Suppose it's the difference between an Engineer and a spanner monkey.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. I’ve got a NOCO one that does 6V 12V and lithium. Bought an adapter and it plugs in under the seat on the 959. Its left plugged in when the bikes not in use and so far no issues.

13. :bomb: :no_mouth:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. With the correct reg/rec like what you did 'eventually' :rolleyes:

15. All useful stuff, thanks (except for the seeming continuing uncertainty as to the threats presented by these things, but there we are...)

Anyone heard of JMT batteries?

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. So people bringing a danger to setting older Ducati's on fire is not helpful :thinkingface: - if you are buying for your Ducati that has a modern system to cope with a Lithium battery, please don't skip and buy a cheap 'labelled up' Chinese battery that will risk itself firing if not the Reg / Rec - go for a proper make, thanks for listening :bucktooth:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. :no_mouth:

18. :kissing:

19. o_O

Do Not Sell My Personal Information