1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lithium Battery On Older Bike

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by cookster, Sep 18, 2018.

1. [​IMG]

2. Or.... worst possible case....

[​IMG]

The garage/shed may also go up with your home......
    Insurance investigation says........ Computer Say no..... unauthorised modification / incorrect charger led to a battery fire..... NO PAYOUT

WORST CASE.... just saying.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. To be fair if you are changing to Lithium for day in day out reliability, then you won't get it.
    if you are changing to Lithium for "occasional rider; will it start or be flat today" reliability, then you'll probably get it.
    Let's face it most of us could do with loosing a stone or two of ugly fat..... perhaps that's the way to go to lighten the bike?

4. Less pies people, AC said and he knows stuff :eyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. pies.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. M57 Northbound approaching Switch Island - recognise that very well.

I guess the points made above are that there is a pretty good chance you will be fine, but to be sure of safe use of Li batteries you need to (a) make sure you have the right charger cct, (b)look at the location of the reg/rec (e.g. very hot place on the 1098) and try to see if you can get it into a cooler position.

being an irregular user, I might look into the cost/benefit of a charger system and battery upgrade, but for no urgent need right now.

7. To be fair when i swapped mine, the reason was down to the original reg/rectifier over charging which caused some weird goings on and it caused the motobatt battery to leak. ( luckily only into plastic tray).
    The weight saving was just a bonus of new set-up.

8. I still don’t understand why someone doesn’t make a ‘black box’ to interface between an older reg/rec and a lithium battery to eliminate these issues.

9. When/If my
    i suppose it would be a superfluous product pretty quick as all new reg/rec would be lithium compatible and the cost of it may work out better to simply buy one of the new reg/rec

10. Most of the racing paddock will have lithium batteries, and often on older kit. If its for the SPS, the reg/rec has a reputation of frying most stuff so may be a bit of caution, but I know plenty who have run them on standard and hybrid bikes with no problem at all.

I have tried too, but always found a bit too unreliable at cold starts. A few I know have added a jump cable for one of those small jump start packs so they can be sure to get enough into it first thing in the morning trackside.

With bikes shipped as standard now, tech moving on, makes it easier o toake a punt. Easy 3.5kgs off the SPS ;)

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. When/if my reg/rec goes, i'll do the full switch and try a Lithium out. Until then, I've had zero issues with my AGM and the chances of my bike catching fire are less than with lithium so I like the less chance option.

12. I have seen bikes catch fire with exhaust wrap. I have seen them catch fire with wiring issues (often home made looms). Never seen one go up with a lithium battery being at fault. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen, but when you have hundreds over years of weekend racing events, I’d have thought I would have seen, experienced or heard of one.

Most of the desmodue guys run them on their old 600/620’s nowadays

• Like Like x 2
  13. Oooh errrr.... I managed to flatten mine on the V4S whilst loading UpMaps for the Termi system (did I tell you I had a termi :laughing:) It seemed to respond perfectly well to a recharge from my LiFe trickle charger. Do you reckon I might have knackered it?

14. Isn't one of the batteries sold as lithium done this "black box" thing already to prevent over charging?
    The issue is the heat dissipated by the shunt regulator. If the "Gen set" was designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel then it can cope with huge, if not all the current the alternator makes at any given voltage.
    However if Colin Chapman had anything to do with the design.... "it is only just good enough" and you may well be in trouble.

• Like Like x 1
  15. This is the ONLY thing that can answer that question..... read the instructions carefully.
    Test Once only. Then wait an hour to repeat.
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Hmmm, looks like a discharge test??

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Just to be heard on the forum.... I have replaced my original Ducati supplied lead acid battery twice in 16 years with a Ducati spec (Yuasa last time sourced from Italy as it was a few quid cheaper) lead acid battery and had no issues :yum

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Maybe it would benefit someone like Electrex to design a retrofit plug and play reg/rec unit specifically for lithium batteries.
    Lithium has to be the future, it’s just not quite there yet from a safety standpoint

19. 53quid for my 999 with a forum subscriber Halfords card.
    Mine is 4 1/2 years old now and still going strong :)

20. Shorai ??
    I’ve an idea they have built in circuitry to balance the cells etc

Do Not Sell My Personal Information