1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lithium Grease Clutch Mod

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Old rider, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Just been reading about the lithium grease clutch mod. Anyone here tried it?

2. Yes and yes it works a treat

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yes, but bake them when wifey is away and then have a bacon butty to disguise any odours.

4. There seems to be some debate about using heat. The original proponent reckons it's not necessary but others say it makes the effect longer lasting.
    I don't have a huge issue with my clutch but smoother has to be better...
    I have some lithium grease but it's the dark brown type. Will that be ok or do I really need the white stuff?

#4 Old rider, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  5. I bought some new white stuff so that it was pure and clean. I lightly smeared the plates and then baked them in the oven until it had evaporated. If you do not evaporate them properly you will get clutch slip in my experience of lithium plates.

It takes a bit of time a 200°C in the oven and a lot of smoke will be created. Hence make sure she is not about for a while. Regularly open oven door and let smoke escape. Place foil at bottom of oven to collect any drips. I kept them in until no more smoke built up inside. Then they were fine.

I then tidied up, opened windows etc and had bacon butties to disguise any odours.

6. Use white grease

• Like Like x 1
  7. Think it'd take more than bacon sarnies to fool my Missus...

Perhaps a quick spray round with some nice pungent Mr Muscle oven cleaner??

White grease it is...

8. I fooled mine and she could out sniff a sniffer dog. Just keep kitchen window open and regularly let the smoke out of the oven. Once no more smoke. Theyre done.

It does work though.

9. If the Mrs gets upset, get her to swallow the lithium. It's effective at reducing mania and depression.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. I Googled this but am still none the wiser really, does in make the clutch action smoother and from the video I seen he only sprayed one plate.

Anybody help me out here as when the clutch goes I'm going the EVR route but just with plates none of this slipper nonsense, is it applicable

11. I think Bootsam got an EVR setup in his bike & he's pleased with it. He's a good start to get advice on them. I brought it up a while back and all the advice I got was positive except one guy who complained that the clutch rattle sound wasn't as nice

12. Do the quiet clutch mod, combine it with the lithium grease mod and you may never feel the need for 48 teeth...

13. 48t still rattle. Just not as much. I still wear the oem clutch cover as I've twice put my 1198 down on that side. My 48t are both STM's.

14. Ouch...

Presumably you get less wear as well with the extra bearing surfaces.

I don't suppose the quiet clutch mod would work with one of these baskets, even if you wanted less rattle, as they are of different manufacture, so probably don't have the same shape bottom to the slots.

#15 Old rider, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  15. I have noticed though that with the oem cover the clutch can get grabbier when hot. The lithium mod helps this and reduces it a bit. The main benefit is that the jangle is quieter.

16. Hi, sorry to hijack. But;
    Do you cook them still wet or allow to dry first?
    Do you cook them directly on the oven shelf or on a baking tray.
    Do you do both sides at the same time or 1 side, allow to cool, flip over and cook the other side freshly greased?
    Would this stuff be ok?
    Halfords | 3-IN-ONE Professional White Lithium Grease 400ml

Again, sorry to hijack.

17. NOTE: ensure wifey or hubby or partner has gone out for at least the day

Lightly smear both sides.
    Preheat oven to 200degC
    Place in oven, put tin foil on bottom, use oven shelves grilles to stand them up like dishes in a dishwasher.
    leave to bake for a couple of hours.
    open kitchen window
    every 15mins open oven door to evacuate smoke
    once smoke stops filling oven the plates are ready
    switch off oven and allow plates to cool
    remove plates and clean any mess in oven
    fully ventilate kitchen
    have bacon butties to disguise any remnants of smell

18. Thanks boots, wifey away for 4 days in February, ;):D so want to do it then.

Is that Halfords stuff ok for the job?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yeah, buy the white lithium grease. remember the more you put on, the longer it takes for the grease to burn off. So don't overdo it.

If wifey is away and you have a dishwasher, now is the time to clean those engine parts and light units.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information